Massachusetts, 3 barges 8-28 and Navarre Pier Dive 8-30 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmufieldhockey8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Massachusetts and 3 Barges 8/28
My non-diving boat captain friend took Halftime and I out for a day of diving last Thursday. We hit hit the Massachusetts at high tide and there was a ton of life on it! It was both of our first dives on it and we enjoyed a leisurely lap around the ship which took about 40 min. There were a couple spots I squeezed myself through because I was in some cave withdrawl and I look forward to going again with a light and buddy I can penetrate it with. Even though it was just 20-30 ft my computer read between 73 and 75 degrees so I ended up calling the dive on account of my cold whimpiness. There were quite a few moon jellies who harassed us in the shallower depths. Viz was probably 25 feet.

We headed over to 3 barges- the gulf was unbelievably flat! First we anchored up and Halftime and I swam around but didn't find it. My only other attempt to dive this site was fruitless also so I feared I was 0/2, but we moved the boat and ended up putting the anchor right on the wreck! What a great dive, there were a bunch of fish on this one- just little fish but a whole lot. Viz was closer to 40 feet. The site was really spread out too so we swam down one side of it, started to come back and we ended up having to ascend before we found the line. We ascended directly to the boat. Talk about dumb luck!

I had an awesome time and we couldnt've had better conditions.

Navarre Pier 8-30

Denisegg came into town yesterday for whatever shore diving we could get in before the storm comes. We met up with mrxray at Navarre Beach and we got a beautiful dive out at the pier. Viz was unbelievable for a shore dive! 40 feet I'm guessing. I missed it but xrayman saw a couple huge stingrays. There were various tropical fish, a lawn chair (I'll leave that one for xrayman) and a turtle too. We should see some nice video and pictures soon. I christened my underwater mp3 player this dive so I rocked out the hour we were down there. Denise and I got harassed by a few swimmers but overall it was an excellent dive!

Halftime and daughter had arrived when we got out of the water and we all got some grub and came back for the scheduled night dive. The wind had picked up really bad and viz was zero but we figure it would get better out from the breakers. HT and xray made it out there but Denise and I got beat up by the waves and had some navigational struggles so we called it. The boys had a great dive but I'll let them tell you about it.

Afterwards, HT had to get going but Denise, Barry and I had a few beers across the street and told the bartender tales of our underwater adventures. Denise and I were delayed by a bike accident that happened in front of us on 3 mile bridge but I think all involved were fairly ok.

Massachusetts and 3 Barges 8/28
My non-diving boat captain friend took Halftime and I out for a day of diving last Thursday. We hit hit the Massachusetts at high tide and there was a ton of life on it! It was both of our first dives on it and we enjoyed a leisurely lap around the ship which took about 40 min. There were a couple spots I squeezed myself through because I was in some cave withdrawl and I look forward to going again with a light and buddy I can penetrate it with. Even though it was just 20-30 ft my computer read between 73 and 75 degrees so I ended up calling the dive on account of my cold whimpiness. There were quite a few moon jellies who harassed us in the shallower depths. Viz was probably 25 feet.

We headed over to 3 barges- the gulf was unbelievably flat! First we anchored up and Halftime and I swam around but didn't find it. My only other attempt to dive this site was fruitless also so I feared I was 0/2, but we moved the boat and ended up putting the anchor right on the wreck! What a great dive, there were a bunch of fish on this one- just little fish but a whole lot. Viz was closer to 40 feet. The site was really spread out too so we swam down one side of it, started to come back and we ended up having to ascend before we found the line. We ascended directly to the boat. Talk about dumb luck!

I had an awesome time and we couldnt've had better conditions.

Navarre Pier 8-30

Denisegg came into town yesterday for whatever shore diving we could get in before the storm comes. We met up with mrxray at Navarre Beach and we got a beautiful dive out at the pier. Viz was unbelievable for a shore dive! 40 feet I'm guessing. I missed it but xrayman saw a couple huge stingrays. There were various tropical fish, a lawn chair (I'll leave that one for xrayman) and a turtle too. We should see some nice video and pictures soon. I christened my underwater mp3 player this dive so I rocked out the hour we were down there. Denise and I got harassed by a few swimmers but overall it was an excellent dive!

Halftime and daughter had arrived when we got out of the water and we all got some grub and came back for the scheduled night dive. The wind had picked up really bad and viz was zero but we figure it would get better out from the breakers. HT and xray made it out there but Denise and I got beat up by the waves and had some navigational struggles so we called it. The boys had a great dive but I'll let them tell you about it.

Afterwards, HT had to get going but Denise, Barry and I had a few beers across the street and told the bartender tales of our underwater adventures. Denise and I were delayed by a bike accident that happened in front of us on 3 mile bridge but I think all involved were fairly ok.

The headphones were Rockin' and saw was Stasia::popcorn:

P8300138.jpg

But Seriously, I think it's time to talk about Denise and her lawn chair..... We all remember this picture and the mystery drink?

DSCN28361.jpg

Then we came across this:

P8300200.jpg

That led to this:

P8300174.jpg

And this:

P8300205.jpg

I can't stop laughing even now. And that's tough with a regulator in your mouth. On the night dive Jim and I came across it and I could hear him chuckling in the darkness!!!

Here is our video of a fantastic encounter with a sea turtle:

What a great day of diving!! We were suppose to meet at 7pm for a night dive at Navarre Pier but Stasia and I decided to head on out and got there earlier and called Barry and he came on over for an afternoon dive because the water was absolutely beautiful!! I do believe this was the best beach dive as far as vis, easy current and sea critters I have ever been on. We got a good hour dive and leisurely investigated what was hiding around the pier pilings.

Soooooooo leisurely in fact, I stopped and lounged in a chair for a bit .......had to wait on the rum though :D

HT and his daughter met up with us after this dive and we went to a nice restaurant and had some good seafood and made it back to the beach around 7pm. Just as we were gearing up the weather began to change. The wind began to blow and we saw a bit of lightning in the distance. The waves picked up and it was dark.................but did that deter the MEN IN BLACK................No They had healed from their previous jelly fish bites and were itching for new ones............soooooooooooooo.....the jellyfish obliged them. :D Not to be outdone, Stasia and I did some Navy Seal maneuvers groping in the 0 vis surge close to the shoreline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom