Lauderdale by the Sea shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridanewbe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just came back from Lauderdale by the Sea and had some great shore diving. 6 tanks in 3 days. Figured I give you all a little write up. Wife is going to start a blog called Danielle's Dives.
We arrived on Tues and found a great little place Santa Barbara Inn across from Datura Ave. Bev & Gil are owners, nice older couple. Have had the place for 44 years. They have offered 10% off for scubaboard members just mention FloridaNewbe and Scubaboard at check in. It is valid May 1st thru Dec 15th. It is $88 night for efficiency. $68 for hotel room. Small kitchen which was nice to store the Coronas and vodka in. Microwave, stove, coffee pot to wake you up in the am. They have a small freshwater pool and wifi. We had second floor with good view of beach. Also an outdoor shower which was perfect for cleaning all the equipment. Told them they should get a dunk tank for divers. Anyway, we chose this place cuz it was a 100 foot walk to the beach. We drove equipment over each day, unloaded, drove back (no parking fees) and suited up and hit the water.
Tuesday was pretty choppy, waves and reports from some locals was not great vis. Big storm blew in around 3pm so we chilled, had a few tasty adult beverages and too ka dip in the ppol.
Suited up and hit the water at 9am. Datura Ave has an shower and I recommend setting up on the benches right there. We popped on the gear and walked to the water. Got the lay of the land, swum around 1st and 2nd reef. Dropped down at 2nd buoy and saw the anchor. Headed about 25 feet out to first reef. Good variety of reef fish. Saw an eel. Colors are a bit murky brown here so we headed out another 50 feeet or so to the "cheese". Much more color out here and huge holes of reef. Larger reef fish. Saw plenty of 10"+ angelfish of several varieties. We swam back and forth in this area for about an hour. Our bottom time was about 1 hour 45 minutes, water temp 80, max depth 15 feet.
$5 tank refills at Deep Six right around the corner. Open 9am-5pm

Please go to www.daniellesdives.wordpress.com for more details over the next few days. She will be detailing all 6 dives in the next few days. Give here till end of day tomorrow and I am sure all 6 dives will be on. :D
All in all, great shore diving. Boats are great but for those of us who have limited time off Florida shores rock! We have decided to do a shore dive trip every 7-10 days for 2-3 days in each location. Check for upcoming reports and be sure to say hello to Bev and Gil for the Lynches

Cheers Dave she will appreciate the compliment. The weblog will be added to regularly as we beach dive the Florida coast over the summer. Next dive location will be next week.
Richard

Richard and I are getting our check out dives at the local community college before heading to LBTS at the end of the month. We usually spend four to six weeks at one of the hotels down the road from Santa Barbara Inn, and also dive Datura Avenue beach outlet. Good diving!
We usually gear up with wetsuits and BCs and dolly the tanks down. The LBTS parking can be sporatic (we've lost quarters in the meters in previous years.)
Beach Apartment Hotel is nothing fancy, and the wifi is nonexitent the last few years, but it does have an outside faucet and a small shower around one side. Only one or two suites are upstairs. We gave up on the laundry room last year and started taking loads to local laundrymats.
Last year they still had the free community bus that went to the local Publics grocery and the Broward County library reading room. And downtown LBTS and Anglin Pier are within a block.
I wonder if that manta ray is back....

Aruba Cafe has THE best seafood soup in the world. Don't be shocked at the price, as it is a meal unto itself, not a little bowl of soup. Prices are significantly lower out of season!!

I am looking forward to diving there in the near future. Where are the best places to dive? N or S of the pier? How far?

ok, wife has most of the dives on. 2 more she is working on now. She has researched most of the unknown discoveries so she can post accurately. She is kinda fixated on the sea urchin thing. Wants to know if we can try some next time we do a shore dive. BTW, looking to do Deerfield beach or Dania next weekend hopefully. Leave Friday after work, check in and get an early start Sat.

I'm heading down for at least a 5 day weekend at LBTS on June 25th. I heard from a local, that a couple of "Lion Fish" were see there last month. I need to remove and dissect them. I've got my Kayak all setup with duel hookah. Hope the seas are nice and calm.

Good luck I hope you get them. How are you planning on catch the pests ? Please keep us posted
Richard

I made up some heavy plastic nets (for my protection). Then I'm taking them to a friend at the biology lab at FAU in Boca. Have you seen the Lionfish at LBTS? If so, what section? I heard that they were seen near the pier last month. In a way, I hope I don't find any.

Thankfully no I have not seen any. I hope that continues good hunting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom