What to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yknot

Reaction score
I will be coming to the Upper Keys in mid March. I've already looked at plenty of info for the dive centers and have some idea of where I want to dive and with whom. Originally we were going to drive and the issues concerning gear were non existant. Now we will be flying to Florida and I need to know what to bring vs rent, etc. I plan on doing maybe 3 half days of diving. I don't know what to expect as far as conditions. I have never been diving in salt water or experienced any type of current. I have a couple different fins to choose from- jets or split fins. Also will bring my regs, bc, etc. I only have a 7mm wet suit. Will that be too much? Can I rent tanks with larger capacity than 80CF? I tend to use a lot of air and don't want my dive times limited by tank size. I am not planning on any wrecks this trip- just shallow reefs. Any info on what to expect, what to bring, what to leave home or whatever would be graetly appreciated.

In March most folks will be using 3 mil full suits, but your 7 mil will be OK.....just leave the zipper down a bit to cool off. Water temp will be in low-mid 70's.

Stone once bubbled...
I only dive the Keys a couple weeks out of the the year, but my experience is that most operators only give you an hour in the water (some 50 min) and an 80 is more than enough on the reefs.

I agree. I dove in Key Largo last weekend. Water temp was 68-71 and I wore a 3/2 full suit and I was o.k. (but then I HATE anything cold). An hour in the water is generally the max down there. Air temp by then should be mid to upper 80's unless we get hit with another cold front then it might drop to 70 :eek:)

If you are in Key Largo and looking for a laid back, fun and excellent service from a dive operator, call Brian at Island Ventures (www.islandventures.com). The web site isn't much but he is wonderful. I have done about 6 dives with him and have never had a problem and never had more than 8 people on the boat. My favorite place to dive there is Molasses Reef.

Enjoy yourself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom