Barrel Sponges Dying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reck Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What going on with the barrel sponges off s. FL. The past few weeks I've noticed many (over 20 - less than 100) in rough condition. Looks like something is eating away at them. Then they eventually topple over. Does not look like diver/anchor/fishing related damage.

Anyone else notice? I wonder if any science is being done.

Let's hope they can figure out what is killing the sponges, but its good to hear that there are also healthy barrel sponges. So far they know nothing. Kinda difficult to do anything with that.

They were spawning last weekend in the Dry Tortugas. All smoky and stuff. We're doing 10 days of research out there leaving tonight. We'll be looking for diseased sponges.

I am not sure if it is the Lion Fish, the Pythons, the Snakeheads, the Quaker Parrots, the Fire ants, the Oscars, the Nutria, the Bufo Toads or one of the many other invaders that we are dealing with here in Florida that could be killing the sponges...
So I think we ought to just kill them all and see if that helps.

Chug
Wants to know why it is closed season on those other exotics from up north anyway....

Here is an article about the orange band disease from Dr. Joe Pawlik, who was just here in Key Largo doing a mission in Aquarius Reef Base:
http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/2011FEMSAngermeier.pdf

Here is the piece about his study and the status of Aquarius:
Aquarius provides invaluable oceanic research

Shot today on Deep Molasses:
_DSC1001.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is the Lion Fish, the Pythons, the Snakeheads, the Quaker Parrots, the Fire ants, the Oscars, the Nutria, the Bufo Toads or one of the many other invaders that we are dealing with here in Florida that could be killing the sponges...
So I think we ought to just kill them all and see if that helps.

Chug
Wants to know why it is closed season on those other exotics from up north anyway....

You left out French Canadians and residents of New York and New Jersey

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom