Florida Keys Q1 - Best Restaurants in KL & Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dear Florida Keys’ SBers,

I will be celebrating my 50th Birthday and my girlfriend’s first warm water open dives next month in the Florida Keys. We already have a dive operator and hotel selected and reserved, but nothing set in stone for nice dinners/lunches. The internet lists many restaurants, but we are more interested in personal recommendations…the "why" it is soooo goooood.

We both grew up in Colorado so we are not interested in Mexican food. I went to two different cooking schools in Italy so we get a lot of Italian at home. What we are looking for are good regional spots, e.g. Cuban, Caribbean, Southern Home Style and of course Seafood. We also like Spanish Tapas...great eats there. Where would you take your Mother on Mother’s Day, your Grandmother on her birthday, your wife on your anniversary or your family for a night out?

:cheers: Also if any of them or any additional venues have live music that would be great…I really don’t want to just watch TV at night in the hotel…that I can do at home :dance3:

Of Special Note…Key Lime Pie is my all-time favorite pie…who has the best?

We will be staying three days in the Key Largo and Islamorada areas and one day driving down to Key West. So if there are any “must try” restaurants or live venues down south we are interested in those too.

Thanks SBers in advance,

~Oldbear~
:banana::banana::banana:

Family favorite is Key Largo Conch House. Conch Fritters with excellent sauce (I believe the conch come from farmed conch brought in fresh). I also like the hog fish when it was on the menu as well as fish tacos. This reminds me more of Caribbean type cuisine but it is creative and unique. They have also been highlighted on Travel Channel's Man vs Food. Also check out their facebook page.

Welcome To Key Largo's Conch House! Restaurant & Coffee House

Much further south on Stock Island (probably further than you would want to drive from KL) is Hogfish Bar and Grill. The namesake Hogfish sandwich as well as conch fritters were fantastic.
HOGFISH BAR and GRILL - Hogfish

Santiago's Bodega has awesome tapas in Key West, my wife thinks that the sangria is the best ever. The best seafood on the island is not on the island, but on Stock Island, and is called the Hogfish Bar and Grill. Don't take my word for it, they are number 9 on the NY Times top 10 best seafood restaurants in the country, right alongside the $200 a plate places facing Central Park. I count the owner as a friend, you eat on a picnic table with pitchers of beer delivered to your table.

On Marathon Key, there's a restaurant called Keys Fisheries. GREAT Key Lime Pie (my wife dislikes KLP, but we had to go back twice....just for her to get the pie). However, their specialty is their Lobster Reuben. It's unbelievably good. Their Lobster Mac&Cheese is fantastic, as is their Blackened Grouper Sandwich. It's one of the few reasons I want to go back to the Keys!

On Key West, there's a place called Louie's Backyard. If you're going for a special occasion, make THIS the restaurant you celebrate at. Go at dusk (dinner), eat out back, and watch the sunset. The view is spectacular, the location is awesome, and the food is unbelievable. Truly delicious. We went there with friends as broke college kids, and nearly broke the bank here.....but it was worth every penny. All four of us got entrees and desserts, and the table split two appetizers. Literally every bite was delicious. I left uncomfortably full, and was wanting to order another plate. Their wine was good, and their wait staff was very knowledgeable. This is the OTHER reason I want to go back to the Keys.

Wookie, next time I find myself down there I'll have to head to Hogfish....you've sold me on it.

I've been to the upper keys twice this year. I have two recommendations:

DiGiorgio's Cafe Largo has some good key lime pie. However, it wasn't much better than what I can get from Publix (local grocery store here). I ate numerous pieces of pie from various restaurants on both of my trips. So far DiGiorgio's is the best I had. Unfortunately, that's an Italian restaurant so might not be a good choice for you. I was on a mission to find amazing key lime pie, and so far I find that I will have to continue that mission next time I head down there. Darn.

Islamorada fish company.
Home - Islamorada, FL - Islamorada Fish Company | Bass Pro Shops
I've been to probably 15 restaurants so far in the upper keys. This one so far was the best. I don't eat fish, and the steak was not great. However the others in my party who had the fish enjoyed it. Why do I say it was the best if the food wasn't that great? Excellent atmosphere. They've got a little beach area with a fire guy putting on a show. Great tiki deck bars. These large walkways surrounding a small cove that's open to the ocean. While we were there we saw extremely large tarpon, manatees, and several sharks hanging out waiting for people to drop them whatever... Here's photos: https://www.google.com/search?q=isl...qk2AXZuoDADQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1152&bih=634 It's a lot of fun, but it's also very busy. Probably not the best place for a quiet romantic dinner. It is FUN, though.

When I go back, Islamorada fish company will definitely be getting a visit from me. It's a good time.

Wahoo's is pretty good. It was basically this raised walkway with bars on it, and a restaurant at the end. That place has good fish (again, based on reports from others in my party) good drinks and a fantastic view. Decent key lime pie, but again not the amazing I was looking for.

Islamorada fish company is always good. Rum Barrel in Key is good and if show your cert card - 10% discount. i can't remember the name of the restaurant in/near islamorada that i like -- it's the long yellow building with seating on the 2nd floor near Robbies ?
usually if i'm in the keys we're staying in key west where there's tons to eat/drink or near tavernier in a family member's condo and you look for the small hole-in-the wall places...

My wife and I are keys regulars for diving and boat trips. For KL/Islamorada my wife and I have one favorite by far. That is Lazy Days in Islamorada. We are foodies and "seafoodies" in particular. This is the one of the very best seafood restaurants in the state. They have a variety of fresh local fish and their preparations range from basic grilled/broiled to gourmet. Some examples, fish sauted with fresh fruit, fish with various excellent sauces, their "Lazy Days" style, which is fish sauted with and then topped with chopped tomatoes, scallions, fresh parmesan, and key lime butter, is absolutelysuperb. Their conch chowder and cracked conch or conch Lazy Days style are some of the best anywhere. Of course, they have excellent Key Lime Pie.

The restaurant is right on the Atlantic and on an upper deck that fronts a quiet beach with palms and a gorgeous view straight out to Alligator Light. Even in the summer we eat outside and there is a nice ocean breeze, but they offer inside air conditioned tables as well if you want. We prefer outside next to the railing where nothing is in the way of the view. It is a higher-end atmosphere, no loud party scene. It is beautiful and romantic, definitely a place for a "date" dinner. The bar turns out excellent drinks as well.

As good as the ambience is, the food is even much better still. Portions are large. Prices are not cheap but not expensive for the quality and portions you get. Dinners can run $15-$35 depending on what you get.

Don't miss it, that's all I can say.

If you are going down to Key West, check out Wookie's suggestion of Hogfish Bar.

In Marathon/Big Pine, Keys Fisheries, also recommended above, is also excellent. If you are lucky, they will have fresh stone crabs that are cooked right there and served hot, something you just can't get anywhere else. Hot stone crabs are something to die for, but you have to be there at the right time and be lucky. Call ahead to see if they will have them. They are on the water and often have a lot of big tarpon hanging around which are fun to watch while you eat.

For upper Keys, Lazy Days it it, and the ambience is nicer than the others, and the preparations perhaps a little more sophisticated and delicious.

Finally, a recommendation for Key Lime Pie. Some local outfit, last year, was making key lime pie on a stick, dipped in chocolate, and then frozen. Key Lime pie does not freeze in a typical way, it just gets extremely thick and ice cold, not crystaline like frozen liquid. These are available in a lot of local stores in the ice cream cabinet where they have single serving bars. This is the best, and I mean THE BEST in my lifetime of 55 years, Key Lime Pie dessert I have ever tasted, and I would probably include my own made-with-fresh-squeezed-key-limes (no bottled stuff) that I make at home. Don't miss it!!!

Personally, I would pass on the Islamorada fish company. The portions are smaller, prices are high, and preparations are basic and honestly no where near the caliber. It is in the Bass Pro Shop and is more of a tourist restaurant than fine local dining.

Someone above recmmended Marker 88. That is also a superb choice.

+1 for Marker 88. There was live music there the last time I was there. Great place to have a drink and watch the sunset.

If you like huge, delicious burgers, try Category 3 in Key Largo. They stuff their burgers with all kinds of things, from cheese to lobster. It's a cozy little down home place and Herman, they have sweet tea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom