scuba diving in myanmar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there's been a post but responses haven't been that successful, anyone been recently to "myanmar andaman resort " ?
I plan to be "in" Myanmar in february so any informations about the beaches and scuba diving in the southern coast would be appreciated. Liveaboards from Thai don't interest me so no need to talk bout them.

Thanks !

Hi, I guess you might already be in Burma (Myanmar) right now or back from your trip. I'm Burmese and recently I did some research about scuba diving there after starting my PADI OWD course this year.

All I could find out about scuba diving resources in-country is on this site. I even contacted them to see what they could offer for two easy to access and popular beaches (Ngwe Saung and Chaungtha) but never received a reply.
Diving information in Myanmar (Burma)

I'm really sad that the isolation of the country and the conservative culture have caused people to miss out on such a fun activity. The only reason I'm able to learn is because I happen to be living and working outside of the country. Which is why right now I'm trying to see if I can somehow garner interest for the sport in the country. Every time I go back for a visit I take my wetsuit and do a bit of snorkeling, and after getting my certification I hope to go back with a few friends and do some light diving and find out if the people there will show interest after seeing us do it in front of them.

I'm even in the process of trying to convince my brother who lives and works there to find investors who might be willing to help establish a dive shop so that there is a local place to rent gear.

Thanks, but I skipped the whole idea to go to the west coast and to myanman only dive resort in the south, too complicated with permits and this and that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello A.Lwin,
I'm afraid the information on the page you provided is not really up to date...
But anyways, it is true that diving in Mergui Archipelago is more easily done on a liveaboard from Thailand.
We opened a new company in Ranong 3 years ago: The Smiling Seahorse. Which is still quite unknown by travel agencies in Yangoon but still have quite good references from previous customers. Check trip advisor for example.
Anyways, if you want to comeback to Myanmar for some diving, we would be delighted to have you onboard. We just had a few Burmese so far and it is always a pleasure.
Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom