Wide Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmacl

Registered
Reaction score
:06: I am getting ready to start my first open water certification. I was lucky enough to be given all the gear I need by a friend with lots of extras. The only problem is my feet. I need booties with the fins he gave me, but my feet are EEE wide. Does anyone know of a Manufacturer that makes dive booties in widths?

I also have EEE width feet and boot but have never found wide width boots. Width seems to vary quite a bit by manufacturer but also from year to year and the reality is there are few unique designs out there - most are just rebranded for different companies.

I generally have better luck with 5mm boots than 7mm boots and the way the sole is molded to the boot makes a huge difference. Obviously less bulk and little or no wrap around of the sole up onto the side of the boot helps a lot. I some case a quick pass with the grinder to remove the extra rubber tread on the side of the boot at the widest part of the boot can help a lot by reducing bulk and increasing flexibility in this area.

I currently have a pair of Akona boots that work very well with no cramping.

You will also need fins with a wide foot pocket to prevent cramping. Aqualung Blades, Genesis Imprex/Mares Plana Avanti and Avanti Quattro fins tend to have about the widest foot pockets in the industry and work very well with wide feet.

XXL sized Scubapro Jet Fins also have a very wide foot pocket, but it is also just plain huge in all its other dimensions as well and that can be problematic.

I have 4E feet, think about it. I wear 9 1/2 4E shoes. Size 10 Deep Sea Boots work for me, but I had to buy XL Jets when I found boots that kind of fit. I have some size 10 Akona low cuts that fit my Large Jets, but I tend to get foot cramps when I use them. I think the Akonas are too tight.

I'm a 12EEE (I usually end up wearing size 13 or 14)and wear Hightide boots - size 3xl 7mil. after a few dives they stretched enough to be quite comfortable, but I might try the 4xl next time... 2xl (size 12) were too tight. Seems like many companies just lengthen boots when they make a larger size...

Tim

I really haven't tried that many but Deep Sea boots seem to be cut wider or at least they stretch slightly to allow my 12EEEE foot in. They fit good enough that I haven't looked further. Where the real problem would be is with hard-soled dry suit boots where no stretching can occur.

12EEEE and you need fins?

I'm a size 11-12 4E as well and I'm 5'7"!!! Yes, I swim fast. I haven't found a bootie that doesn't cramp my foot after awhile, but my turbo boots on my dry suit took care of that. My full foot fins for warm water cramps after about 30-40 min though but it's bearable. I'll have to check out the deep sea boots since I"m looking to replace my booties this month for wet dives anyways.

Back
Top Bottom