shortening a reg. hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vino21

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Atomic reg. hose that has the swivel and is around 30" or so.
I want to shorten the hose to 22" or 24" instead of buying a new hose. Besides, I like the swivel design.
Does anyone know if it is possible and if so can I do it or would I have to send it somewhere to have it done?

Ditto dat, what Bubbletrubble says.

You'll never be able to find the fittings you'll need to properly crimp the cut end. And this is your life support, do you really want to take short cuts?

If you buy a shorter hose, it will not be compatible with the swivel (which comes integrated in the Atomic hose.) A braided hose is flexible enough to eliminate the swivel without any noticable difference. You will need to fashion an adapter to attach the hose the the 2nd stage where the swivel formerly attached. I would suggest a 26 inch hose to comfortably reach up from the low port layout on the atomic 1st stage.

I had two of those Atomic swivels and I hated them. They worked fine un-pressurized but not so much under pressure, plus the length is unwieldy. I changed them out for 22 inch MIFLEX, works great, give it a try.

I know you don't want to buy a new hose, but for an extra fee Atomic will make custom length hoses, ...it won't be cheap though. Personally I like the Atomic swivel hoses on my primary 2nd-stages, although I am using MIFLEX on most of my other hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom