TSA is lightening up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard last night on the news that starting today you'll be able to carry as many 3oz bottles of liquid in carry-on as you want. :D You'll also be able to buy drinks after the screening point and carry those on airplanes.

Guess that means that those of us with compasses attached to our guages or computers can start carrying them on again. Good news!

DiveMaven:
I heard last night on the news that starting today you'll be able to carry as many 3oz bottles of liquid in carry-on as you want. :D You'll also be able to buy drinks after the screening point and carry those on airplanes.

Guess that means that those of us with compasses attached to our guages or computers can start carrying them on again. Good news!

I would call the airline to verify that your compass is good for carry-on. I fly a lot and have found that what the TSA says on their web page or on the news somehow doesn't translate well down to every airport. You will find inconsistencies and you cannot argue with them or you wont make your flight.

Also there were still some rules about what could get through the check point.

Better to call and know for sure than have to repack and stand in line again

Cheers

I flew about a week after the incident and restrictions. Didn't even think about the compasses my wife and I had and brought them on. They never even opened that bag!

Unfortunately, I think you are at the mercy of the inspector you end up with at the airport.

My carry on was flagged a few months back when they noticed my computer when it went thru the machine at the gate. Luckily, the person who did the manual search of my bag new what a dive computer was and let me go right away.

TOM

The 3oz limit refers to what you buy in a secure area of the airport. You still can't bring it off the street. Like someone else said I would call first. I personally don't think a compass would be flaged because you can't really get the liquid out. (I know you could make it so you could extract it but what else would you mix it with?)

It would be nice to have a "toiletries" concession at a few airports for some extra cash.

I was amazed the last time I flew watching people line up to buy bottled water at $3.79 for a small bottle ... The guy selling it had someone running to the back bringing out new stock as fast as he was selling it - I was sitting next to the stand, and noticed that a salad, sandwich and 2 bottles of water would run $24 ... Somebody's really happy about the ban on liquids ...

btw - I just walked over to the drinking fountain :wink:

Originally Posted by Divemaven
I heard last night on the news that starting today you'll be able to carry as many 3oz bottles of liquid in carry-on as you want.
It's only as many 3oz. bottles as can fit in a sealed quart-sized ziplock bag.
Originally Posted by uspap
The 3oz limit refers to what you buy in a secure area of the airport. You still can't bring it off the street.
Actually the limit refers to what you bring to the airport. Additional liquids such as bottled water etc. purchased in the secure area past the checkpoint will now be allowed on board planes.

From the official TSA announcement:
There are 2 major changes:

Small amounts of needed liquids may be allowed through the checkpoint;
Beverages bought in the secure boarding area will be allowed on-board flights.
First, at the checkpoint: starting when airports open tomorrow morning, Tuesday September 26, travelers will be able to carry on small travel-sized medicines and toiletries - whatever they need – as long as they are in containers of three ounces or less and brought to the checkpoint sealed inside one, quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag.

That means that we will have a no-hassle, easy way for passengers to bring on what they need for a quick trip.

That’s change Number 1; travel size, 3-ounce containers of eye drops, lip gloss, make-up, shaving cream, whatever you need – that fit and seal comfortably into a 1-quart or less zip-top baggie.

The second change concerns drinks you buy before you board your flight.

Because we are confident in our increased security measures throughout the airport, passengers will now be allowed to purchase drinks and other items in the secure boarding area – after the checkpoint - and bring them aboard their flights.

For instance, you may buy bottles of water or cups of coffee or shop at duty free and as long as it is bought in the secure boarding area, past the checkpoint, it is ok to bring on board.
The official TSA announcement is here:
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/kh_9-25_liquid_announce.shtm

kidspot:
I was amazed the last time I flew watching people line up to buy bottled water at $3.79 for a small bottle ... The guy selling it had someone running to the back bringing out new stock as fast as he was selling it - I was sitting next to the stand, and noticed that a salad, sandwich and 2 bottles of water would run $24 ... Somebody's really happy about the ban on liquids ...

btw - I just walked over to the drinking fountain :wink:

I read that people are bringing empty bottles and filling them up at the water fountains after you pass the secure area

Just came back from Barbados. Talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

Barbados officials would let you take booze on board but it had to be purchased in the airport, placed in a special bag, and they would hand it to you at the plane door.

TSA says......(at that time) NO liquids of any kind on board.

I watched a guy argue with TSA when we hit Miami on the trip back and TSA said they didnt care what Barbados rules were, he was going to follow their rules. They started to take the bottle from him and he said he could consume his nice big bottle of Dorley's Old rum right there correct? They looked at him weird and said yes.

So this guy opens the bottle....take a big swig....smiles at the TSA rep...then hocks up the biggest luggy you ever heard....spits it in the bottle....closes the bottle up and hands it to the TSA rep telling him he is welcome to finish it. Within seconds all you hear are luggies being hocked up and spit into bottles all around us. It was a dang riot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom