Belize, Turks or back to the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I need to decide on a location for a week trip in April/May.

Along with great diving, I want good beaches, restaurants and shopping for the non-divers. I THINK I've narrowed the search to Belize and Turks, but I could be convinced otherwise. I've never been to either.

If you have strong feelings about hotels, resorts, operators or the overall location or can suggest an alternative please do.

We went to Grand Cayman last year and loved it. I'm trying not to repeat, but am still considering it. I'm planning a South Pacific trip on '08 and trying to keep this one a little closer.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..

I did Belize last year, stayed in san pedro at the Mayan Princess. It was a very nice location in town, only steps from the dive operator. Beaches were not so good, local restaurants were great. Local diving was ok, trips to lighthous reef and the blue hole were long (greater than 2 hrs) but the diving there was exceptional.

I plan on Turks and Caicos this year, looking for better beaches and as good or better diving.

Take care,
John

Have been numerous times to Little Cayman Beach Resort and to Banyan Bay in San Pedro, Belize. Bloody Bay Wall off Little Cayman is the best diving I have found but night life and shopping would be better in San Pedro. Both places however are tops on my list.

We came back from a liveaboard trip to the Turks & Caicos in October, and I have to say that I frankly was not impressed. I know that diving quality is always something of luck of the draw, but I have had far superior diving in the Bahamas, which everyone seems to tell me is mostly burned out. The critters were strangely absent, and visibility was unusually poor. We spent 6 days around the western end of the island group, as is usual for this type of thing, and other than an unusually friendly turtle who tried to give me a kiss (or so it seemed), there was really nothing memorable about any of it. I have multiple memories of incredible things I saw and did in the Bahamas, on the other hand, and am planning a return there soon. Maybe I am just spoiled, but I have seen a lot of undersea wonders, and the Turks & Caicos just didn't measure up, at least for me anyway. Maybe another try at it would produce better results, but I dunno.... I hope you have better luck. Woody

I take it you didn't get to the Grna Turk wall, or any of the Provo sites, sounds like you got ripped off by the service you used. I have always seen abundant life, great reefs and really enjoyed the dives at Grand Turk.

I am going to the Bahamas in December I will compare the two.

Back
Top Bottom