Opinions needed on quick trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjdm

Reaction score
We are looking for opinions on the best quick dive trip for July leaving from east coast. We only have 4 days and so we were thinking Bahamas, Bonaire, Cozumel and Florida. We are both experienced divers…would like pelagic experiences and no cattle calls. Please be specific about which dive shop and resort you prefer and why, thx

If you are talking 3 nights -- I would drive to North Carolina and save my money for a longer trip. See the Sand Tigers. Water is really nice. I was hot in a 3mm. http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/ is who I went with the last time I went there. The "East Coast" is a pretty long thing--where are you coming from? Do you mean 4 full days on the island? Or a day to go, a day to dive, a day to not fly & a day where you leave?

scratch Bonaire off your list... no pelagics and long travel time to get there and back would suck for such a short trip.

Cozumel? Well, I have seen some nurse sharks there on occasion but not a regular guaranteed thing.

Bahamas - yes you will see sharks, on regular dives and shark feeding dives. We've done two trips on the Nekton but those are 7 day liveaboard trips - lots of sharks. Since you are only doing 4 day trip, I would think about going to Stuart Cove's. Unfortunately, I think they have bigger boats. I think there are only 2 dive ops to choose from and the other is the same size op. Other's may have more info on that.

Florida - yes, southeast coast from Ft. Lauderdale north to Jupiter has diving with occasional sightings of sharks. Once again, not guaranteed.

All that said - from your list of wants and that it is a short trip -go with the Bahamas.

Robin and RJ,

Actually from East Coast, Bonaire is EASY to reach, quickly, if you know how to do it!

We actually get people for long weekends here (4 days). Best way to go for short trip is to take AA (to Miami then direct to Curacao, then a 15 minute flight to Bonaire) You arrive on Bonaire about 3:30 pm, leaving Miami about 11:30 am. Dive 3 days (you can get a night dive in the day you arrive 2-4 the next day then 1-2 the next morning to keep with the 24 hour rule. The flight back from Curacao leaves at around 2pm the next day back to Miami.

So see....easy quick trip these days.....

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom