Where to go for course abroad ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am an Advanced diver looking to go abroad with a beginner who wants to learn. Is it possible to book a resort/beach type vacation, with some diving options and tuition ? Where would you go ?

you have LOTS of great options here. If you want to save some $$ and time on the trip, I would suggest the person do the classroom and pool sessions at home, then all they have to do is the 4 open water certification dives at your destination.

big question is... what time of year? what is your budget?

If I had a friend or family member in this situation, I would take them to:
1. Scuba Club Cozumel... great diving, on site dive instructors are EXCELLENT, and there is shore diving in front of resort for shallow experience dives besides boat dives. Very inexpensive trip, good food, clear water, tons and tons of fish.
2. Buddy Dive in Bonaire....a bit pricier, but great easy diving in clear water
3. CocoView Resort in Roatan.... excellent instructors and easy diving, vis not as good as Cozumel or Bonaire, but still a good first experience for any diver. More rustic resort, cabanas over water in jungle setting.

check out some of my trip reports and videos from all of these places. As I said, budget may not fit all suggestions.

Thanks - yes, I was veering towards Cozumel. I liked CocoView, but not sure it would be the best place for a brand new diver. We have major time constraints in that she's not going to be able to do much more than just the theory before we go, so we're fairly realistic as to what can be achieved once we get there - as long as she gets some in the water time, and I get a few dives, we'll be happy. Budget is always better, but we're not at the bunkhouse level !

you have LOTS of great options here. If you want to save some $$ and time on the trip, I would suggest the person do the classroom and pool sessions at home, then all they have to do is the 4 open water certification dives at your destination.

big question is... what time of year? what is your budget?

If I had a friend or family member in this situation, I would take them to:
1. Scuba Club Cozumel... great diving, on site dive instructors are EXCELLENT, and there is shore diving in front of resort for shallow experience dives besides boat dives. Very inexpensive trip, good food, clear water, tons and tons of fish.
2. Buddy Dive in Bonaire....a bit pricier, but great easy diving in clear water
3. CocoView Resort in Roatan.... excellent instructors and easy diving, vis not as good as Cozumel or Bonaire, but still a good first experience for any diver. More rustic resort, cabanas over water in jungle setting.

check out some of my trip reports and videos from all of these places. As I said, budget may not fit all suggestions.

check out Scuba Club Cozumel then... it is a package deal on website, but you can work out the instruction thing with them too. I HIGHLY recommend their instructors. My husband and I have watched them work with students and think they do a great job, plus they have a shore dive "teaching" area set up in front of resort. Perfect in my opinion.

I have a video of the shore dive area if you are interested.
[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

they do the first day of instruction there, then the next day do boat dives. Nice classroom also.

Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop
this is their website. It is NOT a fancy resort, it is like a Mexican Bed & Breakfast...very quaint and cozy. If you liked CCV then you will like SCC. Meals are fancier at SCC, lunch and dinner are off a menu.

my trip report from last year:
http://www.rnrscuba.net/2012_Cozumel/2012_SCCTripReport.html

Seriously, if I was going to get a family member or friend certified, I would take them there. Also, the place is walking distance to town which is nice.

robin

Hey Kate

have you thought about Cancun we have some easy dives in 30ft of water perfect to get started and then finish the certification at 50ft on the outer reefs with tons of marine life to enjoy.
For the more advanced we also have to wrecks at 85ft. We offer differnt package deals .

We are located inside the Hotel Sunset Lagoon Cancun.

Check us out !
Coconut Divers Cancun - Scuba Diving in Cancun

Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom