Unguided shore diving illegal in Dominica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
On many web sites I've read that shore diving is illegal in Dominica - unless you go with a guide or dive master (or conditions permit? - see below). I've tried to locate that law, with no luck. That may be the case in the two marine reserves, but if it applies to the whole island, then we broke the law numerous times when we dove off Castle Comfort's dock years ago, without any guide - Castle Comfort is set up for 24 hour unlimited shore diving.

We're planning to go back to Dominica next year (not staying at a dive op) and Bonaire's shore diving has spoiled us - we'd like to get one or two shore dives in, as well as boat diving.

I sent an email to the Dominica Marine Reserve asking if shore diving was possible at "Tous Sable" or where shore diving is allowed. They replied:

Brian,
Sorry for the delay in response, shore diving is generally not permitted on our coasts unless sea conditions dictate otherwise. The exception being Cabrits Dive who come down from Portsmouth by vehicle and dive at Tous Sable with permission.
I have forwarded our message and request to the operator situated in Soufriere, Nature Island Dive, I hope they respond and give you further information.

I hope you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards

Izzy

Nature Island replied:

Hello,
Your message has been passed on to me.
We are located in the most southerly part of the island in the village of Soufriere and dive the Soufriere/Scottshead Marine reserve.
Unsupervised shore diving is not allowed in the marine reserve and dive shops do not rent tanks.
We hardly ever do shore dives. We do our training dives off the beach in front the dive shop at Soufriere. We dive Tu Sabb as a guided boat dive.
Thanks and have a wonderful Easter Weekend,
Regards
Karen.

So, has anyone done any unguided shore dives or even rented tanks?

I have also heard if you are staying at castle comfort you can do shore dives there, and same for the anchorage. when are you traveling to dominica?

The Scotts Head Marine Preserve only goes as far north as Pointe Michel. If the hotel you are staying at such as the Anchorage and Castle Comfort are not in the Marine Preserve then I would assume you can shore dive there. I'm not sure that they are north of Pointe Michel, but they could be. You can definittely not dive in the Marine Preserve without a guide from one of the shops.

I think this is right, ie not in the reserve. There was diving from the jetties at Anchorage and Castle Comfort when we were there a couple of years ago. It was stunning. From the jetty it looked like a load of rocks and rubble and not worth it. When we got in it was amazing. The middle of the afternoon and all sorts of critters and fish were lazing around. They were big and not the least bit bothered about divers. None of this hiding under the boulders business. They just swaggered around on top.

If you're looking for spectacular coral then this is not for you. If you like fish and critters and want to take photos it is first class. At night it was heaving with life and we were at the Green Flash restaurant just down the coast and saw an eagle ray come right in onto the rocks in just a few inches of water. I think it was scratching and cleaning itself on them, but the other theory was that it was boogying to the music. (And someone said it was Elvis.)

ALDive in Dominica....unguided shore diving in Dominica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom