Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antigua?

Regular of the Pub

Boats & Hoes

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos

Antigua?

My fiance and I are looking at Antigua along with a million other place for our honeymoon. We have several months before we go but we want an all inclusive with a romantic feel and good diving. We are looking at Antigua through Sandals Resort. Has anyone ever got to dive Antigua? If so what did you think? Thanks

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by robbcayman
    If so what did you think? Thanks
    My wife and I got our certification in Antigua (Sandals). Generally speaking the resort was very nice and the dive staff and boat were good. But, the diving was not interesting, not much to see in the way of marine life and there were no interesting reefs or wrecks that we saw. The main town is not overly interesting either. Perhaps a better Sandals location would be St. Lucia or the Bahamas.

Sean
    Sean C.

Regular of the Pub

Boats & Hoes

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Thanks Sean. I will take your advice!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean C
    My wife and I got our certification in Antigua (Sandals). Generally speaking the resort was very nice and the dive staff and boat were good. But, the diving was not interesting, not much to see in the way of marine life and there were no interesting reefs or wrecks that we saw. The main town is not overly interesting either. Perhaps a better Sandals location would be St. Lucia or the Bahamas.

Sean
    As far as Antigua goes, I think that the better diving is the south-east coast - that's the English Harbour area - it's mini-walls, good coral health, plenty of fish etc.. Sandals is on the other side of the island and on that side, it's shallow and sandy and limited reef. The Sandals in St.Lucia is considered much nicer than the one here in Antigua - and I have not heard any complaints about the diving there either.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

MaraGirl

MaraGirl, sorry if my views were overly harsh, not my intention. I just wanted to be clear on what the original poster could expect from a diving trip with the Antigua Sandals Group. I am glad to hear that there is some good diving on the island.

Cheers

Sean
    Sean C.

Registered

Is going to Thailand!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I did dive off the southeast coast of Antigua and would not consider it a dedicated dive destination. Sean C's assessment was right on. No offense, Just IMHO.
    So I got a tattoo of a turtle on my arm and a woman on the dive boat said "Oooh thats a nice tattoo. Do you like turtles?"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I would agree.
    Antigua is a great place to go on holiday and do a couple of dives but in my opinion its not a place for a diving holiday.

Doug

Regular of the Pub

Boats & Hoes

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    I have now officially ruled Antigua out.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ingersoll
    I did dive off the southeast coast of Antigua and would not consider it a dedicated dive destination. Sean C's assessment was right on. No offense, Just IMHO.
    I never claimed that Antigua is a diving destination - merely that English Harbour has better diving than the side of the island where Sandals is located. Besides, I thought you stayed at Curtain Bluff when you were here and as far as I know, they don't dive English Harbour. Who did you dive with ?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean C
    MaraGirl, sorry if my views were overly harsh, not my intention. I just wanted to be clear on what the original poster could expect from a diving trip with the Antigua Sandals Group. I am glad to hear that there is some good diving on the island.

Cheers

Sean
    Sean - no offense taken - you are the not the first diver to make that particular assessment regarding diving the Sandals sites or rather that side of the island.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast