Couples trip with some non-divers, any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salth2owannabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In the past we have done yearly cruises with a few other couples. We decided this next trip would be a destination trip, and of course I'm thinking on the dive side of things. The other couples like to snorkel some, but are more into the beach, shop, etc. activities. Any suggestions, including resorts, or specific hotels would be great.
Thanks much,

In the past we have done yearly cruises with a few other couples. We decided this next trip would be a destination trip, and of course I'm thinking on the dive side of things. The other couples like to snorkel some, but are more into the beach, shop, etc. activities. Any suggestions, including resorts, or specific hotels would be great.
Thanks much,
Lots and lots of options!
What time of year?
What is your budget?
Where are you flying out from?
Rustic or plush?
Great diving or great topside activities?
Ancient ruins or shopping mecca?
On your yearly cruises, did you stop at a place that you particularly liked for some reason?

I am thinking maybe Curacao. More topside activities than Bonaire which is a bit more rustic side. Check out this website to get some ideas: Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
If the group wants rustic and exotic, think about Welcome to CoCo View Resort The snorkelers can get a snorkeling package, you can dive, and their are different excursions during daytime, plus its all inclusive.
There is also Grand Cayman - diving and lots of topside activities but from what I have heard it can be expensive and touristy. You can get some info from that same Caradonna website about prices and resorts.

We've been to a number of the ussual islands the boats stop at . It is always nice to hear from folks who may have stayed at places (hotels, resorts, etc.) that they would really like to return to. I'm going to Bonaire this spring and that may be an option, but ussually what you hear is that it is a dive destination. Any places you folks have first hand knowledge of and would like to share would be great. Thanks!

We've been to a number of the ussual islands the boats stop at . It is always nice to hear from folks who may have stayed at places (hotels, resorts, etc.) that they would really like to return to. I'm going to Bonaire this spring and that may be an option, but ussually what you hear is that it is a dive destination. Any places you folks have first hand knowledge of and would like to share would be great. Thanks!
Bonaire is fabulous diving but not much as far as topside activities unless you want to hike in the national park (cactus, birds, flamingos, parrots, lizards, iguanas) or visit the donkey sanctuary (same as above with donkeys). Downtown is only about 2 blocks square with a few shops and restaurants. We loved our trip there and want to go back, but we are divers.
<Ron & Robin's Bonaire Trip> <>Photos (our pics from the trip)
Cozumel is good, not as good diving as Bonaire but more topside shopping, etc. and ruins to visit over on the mainland. I have heard non-divers like it as long as they are staying at one of the all-inclusives and rent a car to visit the other side of island and downtown. We have been there 5 times but not in the past few years as to us it isn't the "diver's paradise" it used to be. Too touristy for us now.

Also, right across the water from Cozumel is the Riviera Maya - lots of nice resorts, lots of shopping and Mayan ruins, etc. and you can dive the ocean or do the cenote dives!

You might want to check out Belize outer islands, like Ambergris Cay. We haven't been but it seems like something in between Bonaire and Cozumel. And also the Roatan resort I mentioned Welcome to CoCo View Resort . We have friends who go there once or twice a year (divers and snorkelers) and love it.

If you want to try the Pacific, we think Kona on the Big Island, Hawaii is great for divers and non-divers. Lots of great snorkeling and also topside stuff - rent car and visit rainforest, waterfalls, horseback riding, trip down to see the volcano national park(gotta do this).

robin:D

We travel with another couple and the wives don't dive. We went to Bonaire a few years ago and stayed at the Plaza Resort. The girls loved it - lots of rest and relaxation. It has a great pool and beach. The dive shop was topnotch and took great care of us. We all felt like we had been at a spa for a week.
WOG

I've been checking out your suggestions and appreciate them. I'll take a look at Negril, which kind of surprises me because I haven't heard many good things said about Jamaica, but I haven't been there. I'm always up for new adventures.

Negril Jamaica is a great place with very nice diving. Search on "Jamaica" in SB and you'll see a recent dive report from Couples Swept Away that someone just posted a few days ago. My wife and I have been there 4 times in the last two years. Jon & Tara's Site is our site and has plently of pics of the resort and the diving. Jamaican's are fantastic people and those that talk bad about the island are usually those who haven't been. Granted, Kingston is pretty rough, but we don't go there. Couples Resorts and specifically Swept Away offer great service and excellent food. Having done all-inclusives in MX, we were not been pleased at all and were very skeptical when a family friend suggested Couples in JA. Couples far surpassed any of our expectations. And since absolutely everything is included, we never miss a dive, drink or meal and love every minute of it. Incredible beach, sports facilities, snorkling or simply peace a quiet for non-divers.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom