Maui West Side Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strima77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency Maui on the west side and am looking to dive a few of the days. Any suggestions for dive operators in the area? I believe there is an on-site operation, 5Star. I hear Cathedrals is a great dive. Do West Maui operators go there often? I hear Black Rock is a good shore dive. I dove the Big Island a few years ago, but this is first time in Maui. Thanks for any info.

While diving in Maui over Christmas I did a boat dive to Molokini crater with Mike Severn's diving (based out of Kihei). If you can get on with them, I highly recommend them. They take a max of 12 people, and usually cater to a more advanced diver crowd. Excellent service, very laid back, and really knowledgable about the marine life if you are into that.

Best Shore dive i did by far was the Mala Wharf in Lahaina, do your best to get out that way. Worth the dive.

I concur with @nielsent, Mala Wharf is awesome for shore diving - as told by divers I met there (though I didn't dive it) coming back from diving with Extended Horizons.

I did Mike Severn's to Molokini and the 2nd dive was closer to shore. Excellent dives, excellent op.

Extended Horizons will take to to Lanai for Cathedrals (from Mala Wharf) - which Sylvie & I liked much better than Molokini, for the scenery, the lava tubes, etc. However current was awful back & forth, hard to stay still even at 50 feet.
Molokini and the second dive where a walk in the park.

To me, Molokini is visited too much, much like the "popular" dive sites in Grand Cayman close to shore / Seven Mile beach, the reefs are not as pristine as they could be.
You might see some big stuff, or just a reef wall with some activity and the usual pacific critters, fish too accostomed to visitors.
Instead of staying deep, the stay at the top, waiting for a snorkeler to feed them (when he/she vomits).

You might kick yourself if you don't do Molokini...it's the signature dive spot. If you like it a lot, and weather is good, you can do the outer wall.
We were supposed to do the outer wall, but the waves were too high. High winds that week when we were there.

If you're a good diver - good on air - the DM/guide will bring you deep to see endemics. We weren't that good, having to head back up after only 10 mins at 100 feet. I take awhile to equalize & such.

Mala Wharf - where Extended Horizons leaves - much closer to where you are staying than Mike Severn's, making it a little easier for the 6am departure.

IMHO - do a trip with Severn's, a trip with Extended Horizons, then just do a whole bunch of shore dives !!!
Get off the beaten path and dive where the reefs are rarely visited - thus the best fish behavior to watch.

Shore diving around the bend of Little Beach and Big Beach, also North of Little Beach. Or just snorkel / freedive it. Big beach was our all-time favorite beach in all of Maui.

BTW - lots of turtles !!! Saw some every day.

Nielsent, did you get the "how to use the marine toilet" speech? Priceless :) we got a good one from the Capt, probably because there were some beginners with us.
Not a single diver used the loo - we all beehived the public toilet once off the boat, lol.

In all fairness, I honestly didn't know you don't put the TP into the loo when you flush.

Oh, and Extended Horizons are zero-carbon, and use recycled oil in their motors, so you get the smell of French Fries...more boat ops should follow their example.
Another plus for EH - you can pay and get your picture taken - high quality DSLR + strobes, a great souvenir.

While diving in Maui over Christmas I did a boat dive to Molokini crater with Mike Severn's diving (based out of Kihei). If you can get on with them, I highly recommend them. They take a max of 12 people, and usually cater to a more advanced diver crowd. Excellent service, very laid back, and really knowledgable about the marine life if you are into that.

Best Shore dive i did by far was the Mala Wharf in Lahaina, do your best to get out that way. Worth the dive.

Mark,

Yea, The toilet speech was pretty fantastic!!! Made it worth the cost of admission just for that!

Boat or shore dives? I have yet to do a boat dive in Maui, the shore dives are awsome! If you want a guide I highly recomend Shaka Doug. He's on the board if you want to contact him.

+1 for Shaka Doug for shore dives, Extended Horizons out of Lahaina, and Mike Severns out of Kihei. 12 dives in 5 days last fall with all three ops. Would dive with any of them again.

I would reccommend driving south one day and jumping on B&B's brand new boat. It leaves Kihei Boat ramp and you get to Molokini in 15 minutes. Very smooth ride and great crew. Very fun and professional. If you want to try a scooter dive at Ukumehame to try to get a look at some Manta's let me know. I take people out to check them out. It is about 15 miles south of Lahaina.

Hi All,
i'm a new diver who will be visiting maui(kaanapali) in 3 weeks with another new diver. i have gear he does not.
1. where should he rent gear?
2. shore dive(s) guided? shaka sounds like a good bet.
3. boat dive Lanai, extended horizons?
4. south maui looks best for shore dives for us newbies, any must-see?
5. any other thoughts/suggestions?
thank you all
chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom