Wetsuit Requirement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

safetygurl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading to the Big Island for some diving next month, us crazy Albertans normally just dive 3mil is this enough for there or should we look at investing in a 5mil? We just got back from Puerto Vallarta and almost found the 3mil a little too chilly but was definately tolerable. Just wondering what to expect.

I normally dive 3 mil all year around, but have a friend who needs 7 plus an electric vest.

Just looked at my data from last year's dive and water temp was mid-70s.

Hope this helps.

I dive either a 3mil shorty or full. Sometimes a pair of long dives in the shorty would leave me slightly chilled, the full has dealt with that issue. You may want to go a bit heavier if you are lightly built or plan on repeated dives.

Keep in mind that the temp will be around 80F out of the water. A heavy suit is quite uncomfortable for any length of time awaiting entry or walking back to a vehicle on shore.

The comment on 75F water temps above agrees with my data. Not much seasonal variation here in the middle of deep water. That is what the computer read from a dive at Old Airport yesterday.

We just got back. I would use 5s if you had them are planning more than one or two dives. I was OK in my 3 but switched to a 5mm. My wife and daughters were freezing in a 3, switched to 5s. The shop we dived with rented a 3mm farmer john with a 3mm long sleeved shorty giving 6mm on the core and 3mm extremities. If you do the night dive manta or pelagic dive, I would recommend the 5mm.

We are from Alberta, but I would rather be comfortable than starting to feel the chill.

Cold tolerance varies so much person to person that it's impossible to know what is best for you. If you plan on the water being about 74-76 degrees that should tell you what exposure protection you'll need. If you're boat diving, don't forget to bring something warm to wear during the surface intervals. With clouds and wind, it can be quite chilly this time of year.

Thank you all for the input...definatley helpful...this will be my first time to Hawaii so wasn't sure what to expect.

Last year my wife and I went in April - we used 3 mm full and we were quick comfortable.

We did rent 5mm for the Manta Ray night dive, since it involves a lot of sitting.

I would wear a 3mm & hooded vest for 75 degrees, my gf would wear her 3mm (maybe a 5 if night dive), a lavacore full suit, and hooded vest. YMMV!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom