Has anyone ever gone back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have you or anyone you know switched (or migrated probably) to a Hog or DIR gear configuration and then at some later time switched back to the traditional config?

Without bashing anyone or any style, brand, config, etc what were the reasons for this?

On the board, I can think of two. Don Janni tried a BP/W and didn't like it (he didn't actually switch and go back), and Caribbeandiver gave a BP/W a pretty good trial (at least a month or two) and switched back because he felt he could never get his buoyancy sorted out.

They're outnumbered at least 20 to one by people who switched and were thrilled. (Like me :) )

I've used both and taken training in a BP/W but I still prefer my BC for photography. I think it's good to try both and dive what you like best.

I sold both of my traditional BCD's on Ebay after diving a BP/W for two years.

The only reason I keep my legacy BC's is for pool work with students. I really feel restricted when I wear it too:(

Even my Mrs who has dove her Ranger bc for 4 years gave my bp/wing a try last month in a pool session - now I get to purchase one for her and I never thought she would make the switch.

But hey if your interested why not see if you can borrow one and give it a try.

Cheers

Steve

But hey if your interested why not see if you can borrow one and give it a try.

I actually picked a bp/w up a while back and I love it... I can't see making the switch back anytime soon but I'm always interested in the experience of others (it's often less painful than making my own mistakes :)).

What about the long hose? Anyone ever switch and switch back?

I've been on the long hose ever since. My doubles setup has it obviously, and my single tank rig does as well. Even in Cuba last year doing 30 foot reef dives I couldn't be bothered putting a short hose on. I'm working on my DM cert, and my instructor likes it so he can show the students the "conventional" setup as well as mine and explain how both work for air sharing.

As far as the long hose goes.. When I'm working with students in the pool I have a typical OW regulator setup. In open water and for all my personal dives I use a long hose.

The only reason I've heard of people going back is instructors/DM's switching to conform with their class' gear.

As far as the long hose goes.. When I'm working with students in the pool I have a typical OW regulator setup. In open water and for all my personal dives I use a long hose.

Same here - I wear the same kit as my students in pool sessions, in open water I am always using a long hose.

I don't know of anyone who has gone back to a short hose. I would expect there has to be some that have not felt comfortable with the long hose and probably went back. What ever makes you comfortable, safe and is suitable for your diving experience/environment should be fine

-s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom