Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing Cleaning - Stuck Buttons

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Housing Cleaning - Stuck Buttons

After my last trip in October, I soaked my housing for a long time before packing up at the resort. When I got home I soaked it again over night.

About a month ago, I took out the housing to get ready for a trip at the end of this month and the buttons were still sticking, so I soaked it again and ran water over the buttons for a long time.

Last night I was playing with the housing again. I still had a button sticking! When I pushed the button back from the other side, I could see it was still salt crystals!

Would something like a portable water pik be good for cleaning around the controls???

WP-360 Cordless Dental Water Jet >> Oral Health

Wow.....what a DB

DERP

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Are you soaking the housing in warm or cold water? Warm (not hot) is best I believe.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

- Pictures from a photographic non-achiever
    Favorite Albums = THAILAND 2009 .... LAKE TAHOE, CA ...

HITLER IS NOT AOW - Download your copy here available from my website Diving My Way

My Anatidaephobia group meets Tuesdays down by the park pond.
    My posts = "Now you see them....now you don't". It is difficult to do a good job while operating in an uneven environment.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Yes, warm at home. I was even thinking of using distilled which should absorb salt better!

Equipment Manufacturer

Has not set a "status"

I don't have any specific experience to back up this opinion, but I don't think that the Waterpik would help that much.

The key to getting salt build-up out of the controls is not just soaking the housing in water but moving all the controls and pushbuttons while it is submerged. You can also try rubbing a little silicone on the outside of the pushbuttons and then activating them several times.

Of if you send the housing in for a rebuild that will definitely take care of your pushbutton problem.

Regards,
    Jean / Ikelite
    IKELITE Underwater Systems

Sr. Moderator

Just dive.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    After use, I soak my housings in warm fresh water and push all of the buttons repeatedly. I've never had a sticky button. (Knock on wood.)
    Dave

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Wow.....what a DB

DERP

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcasa View Post
    After use, I soak my housings in warm fresh water and push all of the buttons repeatedly. I've never had a sticky button. (Knock on wood.)
    It is funny to see that "fresh" statement in there but I would not be surprised if there is someone out there that was upset because they soak their unit in salt water after each dive and still get a darn salt build up

But the point here and from Jean about pushing the buttons while submerged is a good one. I do it on my still and video housings, but forgot to mention it.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

- Pictures from a photographic non-achiever
    Favorite Albums = THAILAND 2009 .... LAKE TAHOE, CA ...

HITLER IS NOT AOW - Download your copy here available from my website Diving My Way

My Anatidaephobia group meets Tuesdays down by the park pond.
    My posts = "Now you see them....now you don't". It is difficult to do a good job while operating in an uneven environment.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I had tried all the things posted above, especially pressing the buttons a lot while soaking. The salt seems to liquefy, but then recrystallize upon drying.

This is my attempted solution:
    http://www.chuckelliot.com/movies/Ikelite%20Jacuzzi.wmv

Registered

Just an ole fat guy

Dives
    500 - 999
    I don't think that will help because the buttons should be water tight.

Try this.

Place the housing in freash water and press the buttons several times.

Take the housing out of the water and press the buttons while holding the housing in an upside down position so that the water runs out when you press the buttons.

Repeat a few times.

If that does not work, I think it needs to go back to Ikelite to let them remove the buttons and clean them out.

Honestly, I have had the same problem before and what I suggested above has worked for me.

Please keep us posted.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    It's a concentration thing. You can only really get fresh water into the button areas when pressing (it sucks in on the release). if you've let a LOT of salt accumulate, it's going to take several such 'flushes' to dissolve enough of it to not leave crystals. Once clean, it shouldn't take near as much effort after the next dive.
    buh buy. SB is so yesterday.

Registered

loves animals.

Dives
    200 - 499
    I wonder if salt has worked its way past the seals of the buttons.

Since there is no electronics in the housing, how about this idea: open the housing and soak the whole thing including the inside in distilled water ( you can buy this in large jugs) and press the buttons then. That would dissolve salt on both sides of the seals.

Then leave the housing open and allow to dry.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast