Is the fibre optic adapter sealed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony.dodunski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up a ds51 strobe and fibre optic adapter at a good price to use with a nauticam housing, and i have shaved down a cheap toslink cable to fit.
I am now just unsure wether the fibre optic end of the adapter is sealed from water or if i need to make an o-ring or something fit to seal it.
Thanks

I picked up a ds51 strobe and fibre optic adapter at a good price to use with a nauticam housing, and i have shaved down a cheap toslink cable to fit.
I am now just unsure wether the fibre optic end of the adapter is sealed from water or if i need to make an o-ring or something fit to seal it.
Thanks

what do you think will happen if water got in? there is nothing to break except the cable? I do not think salt will corrode the glass. Also my inon cable are not realy sealed, there is a shrink wrap plastic sheath around the cable, but does not look sealed.

Thanks, i just wasnt sure as the adapter i speak of converts it to fit the electric bulkhead on my strobe.
The plastic housing around the bulk head and fibreoptic end doesnt look or feel that water tight

Buy and review Ikelite Fiber Optic Adapter 4401

Where are you plugging in the fiber optic cable? It should be by the flash and has nothing to do with the electronic bulk head

I have an ikelite strobe, which fires electronically not fibre-optically. But i use a nauticam housing with is fibre-optic not electronic. Sync cord does not work, i cant use ttl, only manual.
The adapter im using plugs into the strobe, making it fire with FO cable connected to the housing(near the flash). Its the only way i can use this strobe with a nauticam housing.

My head tells me ikelite would be silly not sealing it, but at $80 a pop i would be sillyer not asking.

i have no idea on the controller you are using. my guess is like yours, it should be sealed, but you will only find out the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom