Just on Third Lesson....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

washava

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I've snorkeled before and loved it. I tried snuba to see if I liked that....and I did, so scuba lessons seemed the next step. I liked the instructor during the first lesson, two days ago we had our first pool lesson with just snorkel gear and now I'm feeling extremely apprehensive. I don't have a problem breathing underwater, or clearing my mask underwater, or using fins, etc., but I sensed the instructor thinks I will have a problem tomorrow when we use the scuba gear for the first time. I told him after the first pool session that I think I need to get a wetsuit because I was shivering at the end and he suggested I wait to "see how it goes" tomorrow. I'd like someone to give me some encouragement that this isn't going to be a problem because I was really looking forward to this new experience and now I'm very uncomfortable. Any help greatly appreciated!!

You may be overreading the instructor's response. Maybe he thinks that being more active in the water (more swimming) will keep you warmer, and you won't need the wetsuit. (I think he's wrong, myself, because I need a wetsuit in a pool so as not to shiver, but he may not have run into too many people who do). If you did well with the snorkeling stuff, I can't think of why he would expect you to have trouble with the scuba part. But even if he does, I wouldn't worry about it. Just go have a good, relaxed time, follow instructions, and prove him wrong!

It could be that he believes the wetsuit may interfere with the snorkling excercise. Perhaps he wants you to be able to snorkle without one, before you snorkle with one (it does affect your bouyancy and ability to dive). However, there's alot of snorkling done with wetsuits so I dont really understand why that would be a problem if you were getting cold. Either way, be direct with your instructor and let him know eaxctly how much the cold is putting a crimp in your ability to snorkle (and ultimately scuba).

I'm with TSandM. Sounds like the instructor just meant to wait and see if you get cold the second day when there should be more moving around.

BTW, I too get cold easily in the pool. I wear a 3mm shorty over a 3mm full suit, my students usually wear sweats if they wear anything and they laugh at me because I'm shivering in my wetsuit in the 84 degree water. You would be amazed how much warmer a cheap pair of sweats can make you feel in the pool even though they are cotton and soaking wet. My students are college students and a cheap pair of sweats from the dollar store fits their budget better than purchasing a wetsuit most of the time though they are welcome to do so.
Ber :lilbunny:

If you're comfortable snorkeling you should have no problems with scuba. The key is RELAX, BREATHE and follow instructions.

I needed a wetsuit for my closed water dives in a 16 flt pool where the water temperature was in the mid 60's but that's really an individual call based on the pool temperature. Once I stopped focusing on the "hear-yourself-breathe-underwater-like-Darth-Varder" sound, I was fine.

If I can do it, you will definitely do it. I agree with TSand M, PROVE HIM WRONG!!

So glad you've taken the first step.....you're gonna be gravity free! And wont have to come up for air!
Thermal underwear works too..us girls and most skinny people tend to chill faster..looking forward to tomorrows post..

Good luck and as told before prove him wrong. If you got the snorkel part down, scuba should come easy too. Some people get cold easier than others. Glad Im one of the people that doesnt get cold too easily...lol

You may be overreading the instructor's response. Maybe he thinks that being more active in the water (more swimming) will keep you warmer, and you won't need the wetsuit. (I think he's wrong, myself, because I need a wetsuit in a pool so as not to shiver, but he may not have run into too many people who do). If you did well with the snorkeling stuff, I can't think of why he would expect you to have trouble with the scuba part. But even if he does, I wouldn't worry about it. Just go have a good, relaxed time, follow instructions, and prove him wrong!

I agree he's wrong if you are shivering your cold period. It has nothing to do with your "ease level". i.e. you've been snuba 'ing lol. Tell him again you was cold in the pool turn up the heat! Then when he says he can't tell him then the next best thing ... give me protection ...

I can see why he doesn't want you wearing anything in the pool he's trying to teach you basic's and adding a shorty or a 3mm adds to possible weighting issues.

Tell him your concerns ... relax and don't read to much into it. Have fun and relax, your instructor believe it are not is a good guy. :)

Thank you all for your help!! I tried a 1 mil suit and I wasn't the least bit cold so everything worked out great!! The first scuba lesson went as I had hoped it would....when we were instructed to take our masks off and balance on our elbows on the bottom...I had no problem at all...could have fallen asleep. I'm looking forward to the rest!! Thanks again for helping me feel confident!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom