New From PA - Diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAFirefighter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

My name is Rick, I just turned 30 (ugh) back in May. I'm huge into photography and vehicles (I own two 4th Gen, LS1 Trans Am's, a Jeep - my 6th, and a Honda VFR800 Interceptor motorcycle), and recently got into diving. My girlfriend has been diving for 8 years (She has OW, AOW, Rescue, etc.), and we have been dating for 2+. We figured it was time for me to learn to dive. Her father agreed, as he is the one who got her started (He's been diving for quite some time in his off time). My g/f and I are going to Bonaire to dive this summer. I'm super excited as this will be the first time I have left the US!!!! She has been to Bonaire, Belize, the Keys and elsewhere. I've the newb here!

In February I took the classroom and pool session of my PADI Open Water course. I finished my checkout dives over the weekend and I'm officially certified as a PADI Open Water diver :) The checkout dives were at Dutch Springs, which is an underground spring-fed, limestone quarry in Bethlehem, PA. There are many sunken items there, including platforms, firetruck, planes, boats, vans, helicopters, etc. It is the largest fresh, open water diving facility in the United States. The air temps were 80-90*, surface temp was 65*, bottom was 55-60*. Wore a 7 mil., full body suit, booties, gloves and a hood for 3 dives on Sat, then removed the hood only for my one Sun dive (bad decision btw). Bad choice to remove my h ood, but with the skills we were doing (mask off, then back on) I wanted to remove it. FREEZING cold - my head was killing me! Oh well, I learned lol. For those interested, Dutch Springs website is here: http://dutchsprings.com/

Now, what you all want to see.. me in tight neoprene haha:

IMAG1956-L.jpg

IMAG1953-L.jpg

IMAG1954-L.jpg

IMAG1957-L.jpg

IMAG1963-L.jpg

IMAG1965-L.jpg

Can't wait to dive in some WARM water!

Last edited:
Welcome to the board and to diving.
30...youngster..... I have Tshirts older than that. :)
Bonaire will spoil you, super easy diving and lots to see. I will be on island in late July as well, if you see an old double hose regulator with yellow hoses, say hello. I doubt there will be more than one on the island.

I assume you have a passport, if not if get cracking, it takes a while to get one.

I'd beg to differ on that largest freshwater diving facility. Great Lakes are just a few hours north and they are definitely a diving facility!

Welcome to the board and to diving.
30...youngster..... I have Tshirts older than that.
icosm14.gif

Bonaire will spoil you, super easy diving and lots to see. I will be on island in late July as well, if you see an old double hose regulator with yellow hoses, say hello. I doubt there will be more than one on the island.

I assume you have a passport, if not if get cracking, it takes a while to get one.

No comment ;-) We'll be there for a week. I'll keep my eyes open. I'm 6'4", so pretty easy to spot.

I applied for my passport over a week ago and have been tracking it online.

I'd beg to differ on that largest freshwater diving facility. Great Lakes are just a few hours north and they are definitely a diving facility!

I missed two words, my apologies. From their website: "1980, the property was purchased and converted into one of the largest fresh-water scuba diving facilities in the country. Dutch Springs is spring fed from an underground aquifer that seeps through the limestone, filtering it to provide 20 to 30-foot visibility, which makes it ideal for scuba diving."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom