Wetsuit hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcehole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, everyone. I'm new to Scubaboard, and Scuba diving for that matter. I've been looking for a wetsuit, but there are oh so many choices out there. I'm trying to decide if I should go full suit with a hooded vest or farmer john combo. I'm thinking full suit, figuring I get 3 suits in one? Any opinions on that? Most of my diving will be in the Great Lakes = brrrrr :S I know most will say "dive dry", but I really can't afford that right now, I'm lucky I can even go wet, lol. Thanks.

Welcome to :sblogo:

As for the suit,imo you figured just right.:D
Full suit can be worn on a lot of places on the word,as for farmer-john's you won't have any protection on your arm's when not wearing the top.
I had a farmer-john in my early dive career and dived it once without the top and hit a firecoral.That was no fun.:shakehead:

How to keep warm underwater. . . several hundred divers could give you that many answers and all be different. You need help. . . in person. . . by experienced divers. You could come to Oklahoma, where I am, or better yet, use ScubaBoard to find someone close to you. Click on "Forums" at the top of any page, Scroll way, way down to "Regional diving. . . Great Lakes. . ." and search for divers in your area, dive shops in your area, or instructors in your area. . . and listen to them! Oh, if you would fill out your profile with location and level of experience more of us could give you better answers.

To keep warm you must have a wetsuit that is not too tight, and not too loose. If you are a box size (S,M,L,XL) you can buy a suit off the internet. Risky because no to companies make the same size Large, some are athletic cut, some are a loose cut, some for tall, some for short. . . I hope you're getting the message that the size listed on the wetsuit is not good enough to let you find a warm suit.

From my experience diving year round, further south from you, I even have a dive under the ice. I found a warm farmer john wet suit, custom made for me, an extra vest under the farmer john pants, and jacket, 3-finger mitts and custom hood. A custom fit suit is only slightly more from many companies, and is a much warmer fit. If you need more information look up some local divers from the search information above.

Thanks for your input. I'll update my profile shortly, not that there is much to update. I did my OW 2 years ago and haven't dove since :( Very excited to get wet though. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom