Hello all from a SUPER newbie from Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been interested in diving for many years, and have finally decided to get certified. I live in Seattle and have been told it is a nice area to dive and have decided to take advantage of it. I am hear to learn, to read mostly and post very little. I hope to learn a lot from others experiences. Among other things I am looking to learn about is which items to buy. It is not cheap to get started and it will be beneficial to buy the right fins, masks etc the first time out rather than have to buy many different items trying to find what works best. Thanks for having me folks.

Welcome aboard! I was recently certified and I wish I did it 20 years ago.

Visit the Orca Bait forum here to talk to Seattle divers. nwdiveclub.com is locals, too.

Howdy and Welcome to SB.com!
0055.gif

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help...??

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:
[c]
fbottom3.gif

[/c]

Welcome! I am originally from Tacoma! I wondered why I haven't gotten around to get certified until just now when I moved to California. I suppose it was because of the money situation and my motivation back then. I let things stop me from stepping out there. Glad you've decided to get certified after those years.
Welcome to SB!

Welcome to SB! Where are you going to take your certification class?

As far as recommendations for gear go, you can get as many as there are divers to write them -- We all tend to like OUR gear. But I recommend you go find a thread called, "What did you buy that you regret?" and spend a little time perusing it. There are some definite commonalities in it that might save you some money and annoyance in the long run.

The one thing I will say is DON'T skimp on exposure protection. If you are cold, you are not going to enjoy diving, and Puget Sound is COLD. With good exposure protection, you can do a nice 45 to 60 minute dive and not come out shivering, and that will make you much more eager to dive often. And diving often is how you become a good diver!

Glad to have ya. I second the not skimping on the exposure protection. Take your time on choosing gear. Best.

Welcome to ScubaBoard from sunny FLA! :)

well thanks to you all for the warm welcome (and for the warning that Puget Sound won't be warm :wink:) I have been going to all of the local dive shops and looking at gear, I went to the one store of I know that has used gear and didn't find much. Maybe some fins that will do but nothing I felt i had to get. Trying to decide on a mask and snorkel and just the basics is tougher han I thought, and so I can only imagine once I start looking for the real gear. Anyway I am certainly enjoying reading other peoples thoughts and experiences and appreciate the hospitality. At this point I am very excited to get certified (Underwater Sports on Aurora in Seattle by the way) but I saw a Wolf Eel model and I am not all that excited about seeing one of those things. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom