Hello from Sacramento, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

When not diving, dreaming of diving, checking out websites on diving, I will probably be here, posting my thoughts on diving and hoping to find a dive buddy while I'm at it.

When most girls were growing up dreaming of being a princess, I grew up wanting to be a mermaid! During my certification training last year, the first time I breathed underwater I felt at last like I was one step (or should I say, one fin stroke?) closer to that dream.

I have always been a "water baby." My mom couldn't keep me from jumping into the deep end of the pool, couldn't keep me from being swept out with the tide at Capitola Beach (I learned very early on--NEVER turn your back on the ocean), and even as an adult, I found myself inexplicably drawn to the ocean. I lived most of my life in the Bay Area, and living in Sacramento for these past 22 years has been a challenge, but every time I make it back to the coast, I am home again. When I am underwater I feel completely at ease--you know the feeling; our imaginary gills develop and we become one with the sea. It just FEELS so natural. We are in our element!

My children worry when I dive. They worry about all the things that can bite, sting, or potentially "eat" mommy. I try to dispel their fears, but it doesn't help them that I am fear-less to their concerns.

Diving makes me feel complete, and I am completely obsessed with it. When I am not actually diving I have very vivid dreams at night that I am diving--oh the places I have been!

So far my real-life dives have taken me into Monterey Bay; which was another dream come true. When I was 15 and first visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium I said, "Some day I am going to dive in this ocean." It was amazing to finally see the world below the surface, a world that was once such a mystery. I did a dive in a local lake here in the Sacramento area, and I dove in Banderas Bay in Mexico earlier this year, and to my surprise was treated to the songs of humpback whales underwater. (Sounds a lot different underwater than it does on a soundtrack on land!)

Anyhow, that's my story thus far in my path to diving. There are so many places on my list now of where I would like to dive next...if only I had started this sooner!

Thanks for hearing my story,

Brenda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom