New Diver, SW Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DogOfWar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, How's it going everybody? I'm Charlie, 26, U.S. Marine, deployed twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom as an 0331 Infantry Machine Gunner with 1/4. Scuba diving has helped me tremendously in my personal life dealing with some of the issues I still carry as a combat veteran, but every day I push on and try to accomplish more. Now that I have my OW certs its time to work on getting the rest of them. I plan on doing AOW, Dry Suit and Nitrox, maybe CCR if there is time this summer but I also plan on getting my Skydiving license as well and that takes precedence now that I can dive on my own. I am still working on acquiring all of the gear I want and need but for now I'll rent, I decided a GoPro was a little more important lol. Looking forward to being a part of the community and diving more frequently in different locations around the world.
Semper Fi,
Charlie
:snorkel2:

Welcome to Scubaboard, Charlie. Its great to hear that you are back from Iraq and that diving has been a big help in your life. WELCOME HOME!

Welcome to the world of diving. If you just completed your OW cert, I can assure you that it is not usually this cold at this time of year. I would usually have 4 to 10 dives in by this time of the year. i haven't even gotten wet yet this year.

Thank you for your service. Serving takes a toll on the individual and loved ones.

Yeah the water was 30 degrees, air was 31 both days of open water. 10 people started in our group all but two quit in the first few mins. We were practicing OOA drills and my octopus froze open at 45' causing free flow. We tried for a while to get it to stop. I started to breath off of instructors air while he was messing with my octopus. When we were transitioning the current pulled us apart and mouth peoce pulled from his regulator, I got a mouthful of water and transitioned straight to my free flowing octopus.once I hit 1000psi we both agreed it was time to start surfacing. At the service my regulator froze to my finger forming a block of ice around it it was so cold. I loved every min of it. Was wearing 7mm wetsuit, boots, gloves, hood.Swam to shore, swapped tanks, poured warm water over regulator, jumped back in and finished the 2nd dive holding my octopus upside down the entire time ensuring no issues again.

Back
Top Bottom