Scuba Accident - Writer needs help with research!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a writer working on my 12th novel. My main character is a keen scuba diver. The plot requires him to engineer or fake his own 'accident' to get his wife to come back to him. She will later discover what he did. I need help: can anyone give me a good idea for how he'd fake the accident, and how his wife would find him out?
Happy to give you a name check in the acknowledgements!
If you're curious about my books, you can find out more on www.tessstimson.com

Welcome to Scubaboard. I'm sure our experienced, creative and talented posters will overwhelm you with realistic scenarios.

How serious of an accident? Lets see. He tells her he has to drop his weights, but she later finds his weight pockets hidden in his sock drawer. He claims to have DCS, but doesn't. He later gets the bends in a bad chamber ride.

He claims the red marks on his neck are jellyfish stings and not hickeys...

He uses "residual nitrogen narcosis" as an excuse for being caught in a cheap hotel with a couple of floozies...

:idk:

I'm a writer working on my 12th novel. My main character is a keen scuba diver. The plot requires him to engineer or fake his own 'accident' to get his wife to come back to him. She will later discover what he did. I need help: can anyone give me a good idea for how he'd fake the accident, and how his wife would find him out?
Happy to give you a name check in the acknowledgements!
If you're curious about my books, you can find out more on www.tessstimson.com

The husband pretends to get decompression sickness as a result of a 160 foot wreck dive.....he can either pretend to have a low on air situation, this causing him to ascend without sufficient decompression stop time--thus causing the DCS..or, he can do the dive properly, and then claim to suffer serious DCS and paralysis --this would be from what is referred to as an "Undeserved Hit"...one that is not really explainable, but that does happen with statistical probability in a population of divers.

You may want him to do the deep dive, and to stay down too long...this could be him acting in a RECKLESS MANNER, showing the world ( the wife) that he does not care about life any longer, and the near out of air incident, precipitating the fast ascent and missed decompression stops would make a good story for the wife to consider--and perhaps see that the husband does see her as his whole world....

The fast ascent could be faked easily enough--he could just tell people this...or, if you want more inventive, he could dive with 2 computers, and send one up on a float and line, at reel that computer up to the surface at too fast a pace--one that would look like a severe case of DCS would obviously result from such a rapid ascent, with missed stops....Of course, he would have used his spare computer to do a safe ascent.

Later, he fakes paralysis, and needs to be taken care of between chamber treatments.....He can be afraid of dying now, as he sees his wife really does care about him....

Then, when you want to build the discovery into the story, he can be found dancing around or doing something that would have annoyed the wife in the old days, before all of this....before he turned over this new leaf....he can dance around, because the paralysis was never real.

If you want, there could be an early hospital visit where a neurologist tests him for feeling in his legs, but he will have injected some pufferfish toxin into his legs, and it has paralyzed his muscles.......there actually would be a marine life based paralytic which could be used exactly this way....and there are a few MD's on this board that could provide exact details :)

How's this? :)

damn DV, and here I was stuck on the hickeys thing......:rofl3:

The husband pretends to get decompression sickness as a result of a 160 foot wreck dive.....he can either pretend to have a low on air situation, this causing him to ascend without sufficient decompression stop time--thus causing the DCS..or, he can do the dive properly, and then claim to suffer serious DCS and paralysis --this would be from what is referred to as an "Undeserved Hit"...one that is not really explainable, but that does happen with statistical probability in a population of divers.

You may want him to do the deep dive, and to stay down too long...this could be him acting in a RECKLESS MANNER, showing the world ( the wife) that he does not care about life any longer, and the near out of air incident, precipitating the fast ascent and missed decompression stops would make a good story for the wife to consider--and perhaps see that the husband does see her as his whole world....

The fast ascent could be faked easily enough--he could just tell people this...or, if you want more inventive, he could dive with 2 computers, and send one up on a float and line, at reel that computer up to the surface at too fast a pace--one that would look like a severe case of DCS would obviously result from such a rapid ascent, with missed stops....Of course, he would have used his spare computer to do a safe ascent.

Later, he fakes paralysis, and needs to be taken care of between chamber treatments.....He can be afraid of dying now, as he sees his wife really does care about him....

Then, when you want to build the discovery into the story, he can be found dancing around or doing something that would have annoyed the wife in the old days, before all of this....before he turned over this new leaf....he can dance around, because the paralysis was never real.

If you want, there could be an early hospital visit where a neurologist tests him for feeling in his legs, but he will have injected some pufferfish toxin into his legs, and it has paralyzed his muscles.......there actually would be a marine life based paralytic which could be used exactly this way....and there are a few MD's on this board that could provide exact details :)

How's this? :)

Oh come on!!! You've written better fiction than THAT on this forum before!!

Only kidding.. (sorta).:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom