I am new, and need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yorkielassy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, in the scuba world!

I am new to this underwater world. I am practising every night the taking off my mask and breathing without taking shots of water up the nose... a bit more difficult than I anticipated...

I can't wait to go diving with my boyfriend in the Caymans in March... but have to get over this little hurdle before I can move on in my NAUI course... any tips?

E :06:

Welcome to the board!

Practice breathing from your snorkel (or reg if you have your instructor with you) with your mask full of water or with the mask off - sounds like you are already doing this...practice practice practice. Your instructor will work with you to make this more comfortable, too. I'm sure you are doing great and it will only get better from here!

Have fun!!

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Just keep doing what you're doing! It will all start to feel pretty normal after a while. The key is to just keep diving! :crafty:

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or respond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Hey Yorkielassy,

Welcome aboard. Breathing takes a bit of practice but it shouldn’t be too hard for you. And like I said in my PM reply, stick with it through at least advanced level. That way you can go deep and at night. That’s some of the best diving in my neck of the woods.

Rescue level is perfect. Not just to take care of others but so you can also better take care of yourself.

Enjoy your wonderful dive vacation and send us U/W pics!

Have fun! :thumb:

DeepDog :cheers:

Take your snorkel to the shallow end of the pool. Put it in your mouth. Put your face in the water. Think about drinking through a straw as you breathe. Repeat until you are comfortable.

WELCOME to ScubaBoard!!!
Happy to see you here.
See? I told you that you'd get all kinds
of good advice; I especially like Walter's.
You can practice with your snorkle in the
bathtub too, especially if your small
enough to fit face down.

I need inspiration to revise my stock message. Maybe if I read over may last couple hundred welcoming messages. Hmm. Maybe.
This is a great place to meet people, talk about diving, and get information on just about any aspect of diving -or other subjects sometimes- that you can think of. Roaming through the forums is great help for me.
Now get wet with us and dive into the forums to ask questions, answer those that you can and even chat with folks about diving dreams and nightmares. ScubaBoard is a great place to spend your required Surface Intervals.
When you post a question, be as sure as you can that it's in the right forum or you'll probably find it moved.
The folks here are passionate about their diving, some about their specialty, so the reading can get very interesting, sometimes very hot.
Don't forget, if you haven't already done it, to fill out you profile as completely as reasonable, it'll save you being asked and having to repeat the information often.
Enjoy!

Tom

I have experienced lots of fear with this, so I got some great advice here on scubaboard. As someone already said, do the snorkeling thing in the tub without your mask. Someone also told me to fill my mask up with water, put it on, and watch tv for a while. I was afraid of the water getting up my nose, and he said this would help. I'm leaving for a dive trip in a few days, and need to do this soon myself!

Welcome to the board.
Listen to Walter.

Joe

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
It looks like you've already found our New2Scuba and Carribean forums, so you've got a good start.

Walter's advise is simple, cheap, yet very helpful. I did a bit of snorkeling before being abducted by Scuba, and the snorkel breathing, mask wearing & clearing, fin control all helped me with a smooth start. I'm still a fumbling student of the sport, :lol2: but trying to get better.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around. :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom