A warm hello from a cold water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to say hi to everyone else here at scuba board. I just registered a few days ago, but I had "lurked" a little before that. I'm so happy to have found this board...so many friendly divers and such great info here!

I'm a PADI rescue diver (just started working on divemaster training) in Oregon, USA. All but 4 of my dives have been in COLD water -- I'm jealous of all you tropical residents, although diving here is great, too. I was just hired as a research assistant in nearshore oceanography, which means I'll get to do lots of diving off the orgeon coast this summer!

Happy diving to all!
otter-cat :wink:

Hi otter-cat:

Welcome to the board from another coild water diver here in New England. Glad you found us, have fun here and Dive Safe .....
.......Arduous

Welcome from Nevada, otter-cat. I'm an Oregon native originally, but never dove there. Hope you enjoy it this summer.

and a hello from someone else that apparently dive cold.... Though I really don't think 60-70 is that cold.

Hei from Ottawa, Canada

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

I'm just the opposite, all but 4 of my dives have been warm water (Carribean).
We plan on changing that this year, with lot's of dives in Lakes Erie, Ontario, and the St Lawrence Seaway.

Happy Diving to you too! :)

Welcome and enjoy! I dove yesterday, it was 46F! Vis only 8' but its still fun. It would've been ....COLDER if not for a drysuit. Dive Safe!

Thanks for the friendly welcomes, everyone! Can anyone tell me whether there is a forum/thread that addresses cold-water diving issues (equipment, physiology, hypothermia, dry-suit diving etc.)? I've looked around a little, but haven't seen one, but then again, my home computer is PAINFULLY slow loading these pages, so there's a lot I haven't seen yet. If there isn't already one, is anyone interested in starting one? I just don't want to start one myself in case there's already one in existence. By the way, my dives here have all been around 50 degrees (F), not 60-70, although I'm sure it's colder still in Canada!

Dress warm, dive safe!
otter-cat :)

Welcome from a fellow cold water diver in Illinois. I'm either diving in a cold quarry or Lake Michigan. Anyway..... a very warm welcome to you.

welcome to the board, great job you got.:eek:ut:

Hi guys. Like others I'm a newy to scubaboard and was interested in the comments regarding cold water diving. At the tender age of 45 I made a pact with myself to master the 3 'S' before I die (scuba,surf and sail). Well am I hooked on diving - though compare to a lot of you guys looking at the number of your dives I'll be a novice for a long time. I dive predominantly around our home town - Victor Harbor is South Australia. The water temp currently is about 14degrees Celsius (about 55F). I use a 7mm semidry without a hood. I guess like many places people dive, we also have a unique little creature called a seadragon (2 species weedy & leafy) we go looking for. Quite an amazing experience to be laying prone on the bottom with one of these little guys fluttering past your eyes. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom