Just Joined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi All,

My oldest daughter (Kelsey - 10) and I are taking the PADI OWD course in June. We've both been snorkling a few times and we are both are excited to cut the tube to the surface. I started accumulating equipment about a month ago and so far this is one of the least expensive hobbies I've gotten into.

Well, I've got to get to work.

Ciao - Mark

Welcome to Scubaboard.
Snorkelling is a good start to feel at home in the water.

Mark Schroder:
I started accumulating equipment about a month ago and so far this is one of the least expensive hobbies I've gotten into.

Try golf once. Boy,that can add up quick :D

Welcome to ScubaBoard !

Mark Schroder:
I started accumulating equipment about a month ago and so far this is one of the least expensive hobbies I've gotten into.
Boy are you in for some surprises...! :D

Be sure to check out this forum for newbie divers: ScubaBoard.Com > Scuba Diving Central> New Divers & Those Considering Diving as well as your local dive club forum: ScubaBoard.Com > Regional Travel & Dive Clubs> North America> United States> Florida Conch Divers

don :b_cowboy:

El Orans:
Hello Mark,

Least expensive? :06: You still have much to learn, young Jedi... :D

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

The force is strong in this one.

Welcome to SB Mark, Least expensive hobby? What are your other hobbies if I may ask?
David

dlndavid:
The force is strong in this one.

Welcome to SB Mark, Least expensive hobby? What are your other hobbies if I may ask?
David

I lived in Southeast PA until 1999.
Skis - $200
Ski Rack - $100
Other Accessories - $150

Total $800 to go skiing maybe 7-8 times a year and you can't go downhill skiing anywhere for free:
Gas (.50/gallon) - 300 miles @ 12 mpg - $25
Lift ticket - $10 (in '79 I bought a week long pass @ Killington for $60)
Food - Minimum $10 for Lunch
Total - $360 for 8 trips

Including Ski Maintenance I figure I spent about $400 a year in the '70s

Cycling - Can't have just one bike gotta have at least two. I currently have over $2000 in only 2 bikes and I'm at the very low end of what could be spent.

Ham Radio - My first radio was 10 years old in 1996 and cost $800. Radios, amplifiers, tuners, antennas, cable etc. I can't believe I have over $4000 in radio equipment and I have a very small investment.

SCUBA
I've stumbled across a few great deals on used equipment. I have about $500 invested and I almost have enough equipment for both of us, including tanks ($50 each at a dive shop sale). I agree I could have spent a lot more on new equipment, but I have been patiently searching through dive shops, pawn shops and even yard sales to find good used equipment. I thoroughly scrutinize each piece and have had the regulators serviced by a pro. And I have seen a lot of junk and overpriced stuff.
Eventually I will replace some of it with new and I know the most expensive piece will be the computer, but I'm in no rush. I live in an area where I can go on chartered dives for $40-$50 and as I understand that is still cheaper than a one day lift ticket in PA.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom