Liveaboard/Photo taking suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone --

I am booked on my first liveaboard this June in Belize (Peter Hughes Sun Dancer). I'd like to take some nice photos underwater on the trip obviously. My problem is that I have no interest in puchasing ANY more equipment, including any type of permanent underwater camera.

I am trying to figure out the best way to have some long lasting photo memories.

Some options:
Purchase a disposable underwater camera from my dive shop. These are cheap and easy to use but the quality is so so. I want to have some good (ie. clear) photos for me to keep and have.

Does anyone know if liveaboards take photos of you for purchase at the end of your trip? I know they offer to rent cameras but I am not interested in that/

Thanks.

My son and I will be on the PH Sundancer (Jun-19-26) are you on this trip? As for photos, I would fully expect them to take both photos and video (~20 min) which they usually sell for ~$65. I also take photos and video (very amateur) and will try to post a few short videos. Here are the two I posted from my trip last Dec on the Cayman Aggressor.

Russell Weiner on Vimeo

I am on the Jun 19-26 trip. Going as a solo so nice to already to have "met" someone. LOL. Thanks for the info. I'd totally purchase a few photos/video for $65. I'll probably bring some of the chepie disposable cameras as well. Your videos look great too.

I don't think the disposable cameras can go to depth. Besides, my experience is they are awful quality and just not even worth it. What you'll get is really blue, blue,blue blurry shots with a lot of fish butt. Believe me, it won't be worth seeing. Underwater photo is difficult enough.

A better deal with much better quality would be buying one of the small compact digital cameras and their small housing. Probably a couple hundred between the two but you'll get much better quality below and above the water, and maybe even OK video capability.

I've taken the disposables to 45 feet or so. the pressure will press in the button. to take a pic you have to wind it and "Wait for the click" automatically.

but the color sucks... it's really just not reccomended.

I agree that a small digital and housing would be the better way to go.

If you don't want to spend any money, then take several blank CD's or a large USB memory stick. Then ask people on the trip for copies of their pics. Most folks who bring a digital camera bring a laptop to copy them to and view them on.

they dove the same sites you did and chances are you're in some of the pics.

Hey great new. As recommended feel free to bring a memory stick and I can give you all of the pic/video I take. Usually 75% crap, but even one grat photo makes it all worth while. Safe travels. Russ

for future reference on liveaboards, my experience is you can't always count on a boat video guy. Even if they typically have one, things happen where he might not be on your trip.

If you don't want to rent, and don't want to buy, that kinda limits your options. :wink: The disposables likely won't do you much good.

Sounds like you have your solution for this trip. But in general, if you really want to know if there will be someone doing photos or videos on a specific trip, I'd contact the liveaboard and ask. I agree you can't count on a boat having a photo or video person on crew - once upon a time you pretty much could, but not anymore. In the days of film, far fewer people were taking photos or video so it was a pretty standard thing to have someone on the crew that did this, and they probably also sold more back then. Also when people were shooting film they needed someone to take care of the photo lab and develop film. Today it seems if they can get a crew member who can do photography they will, but there's not as much priority placed on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom