HELP Making Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonzoTheGreat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello friends and peers,
I want to make a metal goodman handle.
I have access to the tools. But if someone already has plans and/or schematics or has done it before, i would LOVE your feedback, assistance, and comments.
I would like to know just about all you can teach and share from the length of the strips of metal, to the bolts and screws, to the types of metal used.
Thanks
Ron

Ps. Going to start basic, lets go with the recently defunct Dive Rite MR11 10watt HID as a base.

Check out the Airspeed Press book on DIY divelights. It has schematics and details on machining a goodman (along with every other part of a canister light).

Hello friends and peers,
I want to make a metal goodman handle.
I have access to the tools. But if someone already has plans and/or schematics or has done it before, i would LOVE your feedback, assistance, and comments.
I would like to know just about all you can teach and share from the length of the strips of metal, to the bolts and screws, to the types of metal used.
Thanks
Ron

Ps. Going to start basic, lets go with the recently defunct Dive Rite MR11 10watt HID as a base.

I was wondering recently about making a few "custom sized" handles for my new Salvo 21w Havoc HID.

The "weak link" problem with many handles is the need/ability to adjust them, which requires extra parts/screws/material. Since I always dive with 5mm gloves here at home and no gloves in warm waters and caves, could I simply make 2 handles that are "one piece" and not adjustable, rather sized just right for me. Then simply swap one handle for the other as needed, rather than adjusting the handle.

Very interest material...should be helpful

sorry ...but why not just use that adjustable?

To that point, why not just use the factory original?

:D

But seriously, the adjustable becomes loose over time. Usually when you're on a dive, at depth, without a screwdriver.

The screws can strip out (as they have on the plastic body of my Salvo)

Airspeed Press Very thorough book. Covers everything you need to build any component of a DIY canister light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom