Cozumel or Cancun for my wife and I? Trip in January 2011 - Need Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadoober

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to plan a 7 or 8 night trip to Mexico coming here in mid-January 2011. From my research, it sounds like Cozumel or Cancun would be ideal. My wife doesn't dive, only me. I would want to get in 2 days of diving, maybe 3. Our purpose for the trip is to just get away from the dreary Seattle winter weather and enjoy some sun, beaches, nice pool, good food, and of course, some scuba for me :). We're trying to do this budget minded as well. Would greatly appreciate some recommendations on where to stay, specific resorts/hotels even too, if you know. I've never done all-inclusive, but am considering it if its a good value.

Would greatly appreciate some input from you all, thanks so much! :)

If you are looking at the Yucatan mainland, you might consider Playa del Carmen. Probably a little more accessible to multiple dive opportunities and sightseeing (Mayan ruins trips, etc.), lots of great places to eat and shop (especially along Avenida 5), some pretty cool "boutique"-type hotels, and great atmosphere.

With your being a new diver, I'd recommend Cancun, Puerto Morales or PDC. If you are looking for a great dive op, contact Ben or Jorge at Scorpio Divers // Scuba Diving // Diving the way it should be.// Scuba Diving Cancun Puerto Morelos Cozumel Cenotes. Both are excellent divers, Ben is an instructor. They also can provide a hotel and dive package for you. Check the board and see the number of people that dive with them and their reviews.

You will not be disappointed.

If you are looking at the Yucatan mainland, you might consider Playa del Carmen. Probably a little more accessible to multiple dive opportunities and sightseeing (Mayan ruins trips, etc.), lots of great places to eat and shop (especially along Avenida 5), some pretty cool "boutique"-type hotels, and great atmosphere.

Thanks for the idea on Playa del Carmen. I will have to research that area!

With your being a new diver, I'd recommend Cancun, Puerto Morales or PDC. If you are looking for a great dive op, contact Ben or Jorge at Scorpio Divers // Scuba Diving // Diving the way it should be.// Scuba Diving Cancun Puerto Morelos Cozumel Cenotes[/url]. Both are excellent divers, Ben is an instructor. They also can provide a hotel and dive package for you. Check the board and see the number of people that dive with them and their reviews.

You will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar with Puero Morales or PDC, I will need to look that place up. What would you say about Cancun and Puerto Morales makes it better for newer divers?

Thanks for the idea on Playa del Carmen. I will have to research that area!

Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar with Puero Morales or PDC, I will need to look that place up. What would you say about Cancun and Puerto Morales makes it better for newer divers?

PDC = Playa del Carmen

...Our purpose for the trip is to just get away from the dreary Seattle winter weather and enjoy some sun, beaches, nice pool, good food, and of course, some scuba for me :)...

Don't like weather in Seattle? I lived out in the San Juan Islands for 6 years...

Cancun and Cozumel are quite different places. From what you say, I think Playa del Carmen south of Cancun would be ideal. Flights to Cancun are often more frequent, and cheaper, than flights to Cozumel.

Cozumel has much better reef diving than PDC. However, there is not a lot to do on Cozumel for the non-diver except shopping. The beaches are okay on the west side of the island, where most of the developments are situated. You would have to be at a resort further down the west coast of Cozumel to get fairly good beaches, and would require a taxi to get back into town.

The mainland, around PDC, has some good beaches, some okay diving (never tried it personally), and there's a lot to do for the non-diver. There is a fast (45 min) ferry service between PDC and Cozumel, so you could ride the ferry over to Cozumel for some good diving. All of the Cozumel dive ops will gladly pick you up at the ferry dock.

About an hour's drive south of PDC, near Tulum, there are a lot of cenotes that offer spectacular diving. I recommend that you avoid the cenotes unless you've master buoyancy control, the places are rather fragile.

While you're there, the Mayan ruins at Tulum are not to be missed. Less than an hour west of Tulum are the Mayan ruins of Coba. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Coba is one of the only places left where you can climb to the top of a Mayan temple.

Coba is an extensive Mayan settlement, quite spread out in the jungle, you will do a lot of walking. You can ride the public bus from PDC to Tulum, but you'll need a car to get to Coba.

Don't bother with "tours," you'll spent most of your day getting ferried from one shopping area to another, and will get very little time at the actual ruins of Tulum or Coba. One "tour" of Coba was an all-day affair, and the fine print read that only 45 minutes would be spent at Coba itself!!!!! Likewise with "tours" of Tulum.

Chichen Itza is also accessible from Cancun, would make a nice day trip, though it would add significantly to your overall cost unless you drive yourself (several hours each way).

Scuba Club Cozumel is an all-inclusive dive resort on Cozumel Island. They have non-diver rates. The resort is close enough to town that you can walk there in 5 minutes. There's no beach and it's not a fancy place. Doesn't sound like it would be your kind of place, but it's the only AI place to which have been and can comment. If you return to Cozumel just to dive, SCC is the place to be!

Tulum
m00112371.jpg

Climbing the temple at Coba
M0014918.jpg

Tulum
m0011322.jpg

Scuba Club Cozumel
M0013779.jpg

Last edited:
cozumel will have the best diving, but pdc also has good diving plus the cenotes (cave diving)..
pdc will be cheaper because of the vast number of all inclusives to pick from, great beaches, large mega resorts..
check out the occidental grand xcaret close to pdc..unbleveable ai resort, it is next door to the xcaret park, you can walk back and fourth,your wife will love it !!
dive with geofish in pdc, they are great !!!
whatever you do go to an ai all meals, snacks, drinks, tips & 5 star resturants, all included!!!
doc harry gave you some really good advice !!!

Doc Harry - Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post all that! Thank you so much for all the info.

dougr52 - Thank you as well for the tips.

I'll post back to the thread with more questions or let you all know what I decide on. Now I have a good idea on what to research next though :).

Many thanks!

If you are leaning to PDC, my choice, www.playainfo.com is not a bad place to start.

There are tours and then there are other tours. Two of our favorites are Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen Mexico Adventure Tours | YucaTreks - Far Out Adventure | Chichen Itza | Tulum | Coba and www.alltournative.com. Both give you a full day without the bs shopping.

The first thing I would do is buy the maps/guides from cancunmap.com-Your information source. Pure gold and will save you time and money.

With 7 or 8 days you can move around a bit if you want. Spend most of your time in PDC/Mayan Riviera. Take the ferry over to Coz for a night or 2 and get in some dives and a few Margarita's at Wet Wendy's. Head back to PDC for the beach, night life, surrounding attractions. Depending on your tolerance for packing up and moving you could head up to Cancun for a couple of nights too. Some people think that is a lot of work, but that is how i usually do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom