Diving riviera maya in puerto aventuras area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVENSNOOZE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All
We are off to the Riviera Maya area, close to the Marina in November for 3 weeks. Can anyone tell us:
1. Water temp for this time of year
2. Is it still hurricane season?
3. Any experience/recommendations for any of the dive outfits in this area?

Thanks in advance - only 42 days to go and not counting!!!!!!!
Regards Chris

So, your trip is the beginning of November or so? That's the very tail end of the storm season. We have traveled there in October and early to mid-November for the last several years. October was windy and rainy, but we did not have any violent storms, although they can occur.

In Puerto, you have two dive ops, Dive Aventuras and Aquanauts. Both have pretty good reputations. I know several of the folks from DA and like them, although I have not dived with the operation. My husband dived with Aquanauts and was happy, although that was under previous ownership.

Are you interested in doing any of the cenote dives? I can give you some recommendations for that, as well.

So, your trip is the beginning of November or so? That's the very tail end of the storm season. We have traveled there in October and early to mid-November for the last several years. October was windy and rainy, but we did not have any violent storms, although they can occur.

In Puerto, you have two dive ops, Dive Aventuras and Aquanauts. Both have pretty good reputations. I know several of the folks from DA and like them, although I have not dived with the operation. My husband dived with Aquanauts and was happy, although that was under previous ownership.

Are you interested in doing any of the cenote dives? I can give you some recommendations for that, as well.

Hi TS & M
I will look up Aquanauts. I had been looking at Aventuras and Pro Dive. Thanks for the weather forecast. We regularly dive in Egypt so are used to dry heat, so this will be a change. We are only compressed air divers, not Nitrox.
As for Cenote diving - Lets put it this way, have just read your dive blog and had a panic attack reading it!! - I am not joking. I have a real fear of not seeing the surface, even though I am an experienced diver and have never had to shoot to the surface, it is still my comfort blanket. I have said to my husband I will try to do a very easy one at first - I will have to see daylight ahead of me at all times and the passages to be very short. Any suggestions on what to try?? I know its stupid but its really doing my head in just thinking about it.
Looking forward to some good reef diving and Keith is trying out a lighting system with his camera.
Thanks for any help you can give. Regards Chris and Keith

Hi All
We are off to the Riviera Maya area, close to the Marina in November for 3 weeks. Can anyone tell us:
1. Water temp for this time of year
2. Is it still hurricane season?
3. Any experience/recommendations for any of the dive outfits in this area?

Thanks in advance - only 42 days to go and not counting!!!!!!!
Regards Chris

We have been going to PA once or twice a year for the past five years, and have used Dive Aventuras every time. They are a very professional dive shop, attached to the Omni Hotel, but independent of the hotel itself. We have done both open water and cenotes with them, and have never had a bad dive. They will pick up at all the PA hotels, as well.

As to the weather, we have been down there in all seasons, including late November/early December. I can't recall the water temps, but I dive a Bare 3/2 and my wife dives a Henderson 3mm. She's a little cold then, but she's like that most dives year-around. I think you are outside hurricane season.

I am in Mexico right now doing Cenote diving. I would say if you are here you have to try one, they are a unique experience. Perhaps ask for a recommendation of one which doesn't feel enclosed or has more "light zones" than the others.

I can go anywhere to dive in the sea, but only here to see these fantastic dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom