Cavern Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I understand that some of the Cenotes are not considered cave diving, and as such are diveable with an AOW.
Is this true?
I would like to make it a vacation, so, I would like to stay at a good resort and dive too.
Where are they located?
Do any of the resorts in the area have diving the Cenotes part of their program?

we just got back from a Cenotes Dive Chutkin Moor, it was pitch black inside and no visibility without LED lights, the dive master was only certified for four divers at once, Rick

Hello Swimmer_spe, here in the Riviera Maya is possible to do cavern tours in the cavern areas of some cenotes, always that you are under the guidance of a full cave diver with the proper full cave gear. Most of the cenotes with caverns are located between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and you can appreciate different characteristics such day light effects, halocline (mix of fresh and salt water), speleothems, marine fossils, air pockets, hydrogen sulfide layers, among others.

Have a good day!

we just got back from a Cenotes Dive Chutkin Moor, it was pitch black inside and no visibility without LED lights, the dive master was only certified for four divers at once, Rick

The four diver max could be a safety requirement.

Lynne has a very good sticky about diving the cenotes at the beginning of this thread. Be warned--they can be addictive!

Last edited:
Hello Swimmer_spe, here in the Riviera Maya is possible to do cavern tours in the cavern areas of some cenotes, always that you are under the guidance of a full cave diver with the proper full cave gear. Most of the cenotes with caverns are located between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and you can appreciate different characteristics such day light effects, halocline (mix of fresh and salt water), speleothems, marine fossils, air pockets, hydrogen sulfide layers, among others. Have a good day!

To the OP: these guys are awesome, I could not recommend them highly enough.

I will second that recommendation. Nico and Martin are great guys and excellent dive guides. I won't dive with anyone else.

Yes, please look at the sticky. The dives are safe if conducted under the guidelines. I do not believe they are suitable for brand new divers, although the guides will take any certified diver on them. With between 50 and 100 dives, you should be fine.

View Profile: Blue Life - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

Contact Us - Diving Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Akumal - Blue Life

contact frank or karla at bluelife. best choice in the area, especially for cavern/cenote diving. i consider my first cenotes dives as some of my most memorable dives ever. still enjoy going in there when i get a chance to visit the area

---------- Post added November 20th, 2014 at 01:34 PM ----------

sounds like they "may" have taken you somewhere you shouldn't have been. a "cavern" should always have sunlight penetration. if there is none, you are cave diving, not cavern diving.

My wife and I were 'only' AOWs when we went to Tulum and dived the Cenotes in 2008. They are caverns and not caves and as along as the guide is a certified Cave Diver and all concerned follow regulations (including not venturing beyond the clearly marked limits), cenote diving is safe. You need proper night diving lights to get the best out of them.

We went with a superb guide named Eric "Budgie" Burgess Home Page and 'did' Chak Mool. Kulkulkan, Gran Cenote, Tajma Ha, Dos Ojos, Bat Cave, Dreamgate and Angelita. Every one was enjoyable but Angelita (not really a cenote but a sinkhole) was exceptional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom