That was interesting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, I had my first real air share today...

Last dive of a great weekend. I was with two recently certified OW students, two current AOW students and my wife (AOW). We were at the exit point of a nice shore site, the surface was rather choppy, but below there was only a moderate surge down to 6 m, and good vis.

We were at about 5 meters depth, just 10 meters from them ladder exit up out of teh water. I was posing for a picture with my wife, when a stray diver came rushing headlong into our group, lunging into my body like a football player. He threw down about 10 grand worth of video gear and frantically waved his SPG (showing zero) into my face.

I calmly shot him the long hose and motioned for all but one of my party to exit. Once he was calm, I motioned for him to exit up the ladder with me. He resisted, and then showed me his computer. It was a large display with lots of numbers and blinkers and lights and I really did not know what I was looking at...

After a lot of gesturing and close re-examination of his computer, I came to the unbelievably realization that this turkey had about 30 minutes of deco with zero air! I must have rolled my eyes, because the man began to repeatedly gesture sorry. There was some deco at 6m, then 22 min at 3m.

Luckily for him, I had about 90 bar left in my tank, so we camped out under the ladder. After about 15-20 minutes I was down to 30 or 40 bar. We sent a note up with my remaining diver to send down a tank. My other divers got that sorted out quite quickly and I was able to come up and let the fellow finish sucking down his tank and finish up his deco, which was completed without incident. He was observed by staff from the operation he was diving with (same as ours...)

I was happy my people handled the incident well, and there was a lot to discuss and learn from later. Longhose was a godsend, would not have wanted to be cheek to cheek with that guy for 20 minutes...

Wow! Thank God some people know what they are doing. I have to wonder how someone runs up that kind of deco obligation when they obviously aren't equipped to do it. Did you get any reasons why afterwards?
edit: Just re-read the comment about the video gear. Is this simply a case of someone taking pictures and paying attention to nothing else?

And yet again, like nearly ALL the accidents I read about here...

1. Where was his buddy?
2. What was his gas management plan?

I think those 2 statements cover about 99% of the accidents or near misses I read. Very sad.

Good job!

You know, I'm not sure if he had a buddy or not. I suspect "no" since many divers with video or photography here fly solo.

As for his OOA, after surfacing, he said that he looked at his SPG at one point and it said 150 bar, and the next moment it said zero (insinuating it was broken).

I find that suspicious, I think he was just saving face. I just let it go...

It was a great opportunity to talk about air management/planning and OOA procedures with my students. Best thing was, no one was hurt...

After a lot of gesturing and close re-examination of his computer, I came to the unbelievably realization that this turkey had about 30 minutes of deco with zero air!
:11: Good lord...!!! And I thought I pulled some bonehead stunts. :dork:

Good save! :thumb: Sending for another tank for him to work out his deco was a good idea, so obvious, but didn't hit me until I read the rest of your story. I guess you had time to think out possibilities, beyond "solve the problems in the water."
doole:
Do you always carry a slate with you? (I ask because of the 'note'.)
You know, I've carried one since I started, seem like essential gear to me from the first, like the Safety Sausage and Storm Whistle. I'm still amazed to see divers without any of those????

Poor guy, it wont be his last time. Good thing you were there Jag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom