What should I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helter Skelter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the appropriate amount of time after you have finished your PADI online classes for your instructor to actually begin classes? I may just be to excited to dive right in but I have called them a couple times and even paid the shop a visit but have not heard anything back in a week. I do know the pool is heated and my area will be swamped with tourist in another month but that why I kind of started this early. I was hoping for a one on one class while the lake I live on is still cool.

Thanks for looking
HS

I get my students in for a meet and orientation, if not an actual pool session before a week has passed (though I do not do PADI). Schedules change and people are busy but you need to do this and reinforce the academics before the "forget" bit is flipped.

Did you pay for a one-on-one class? They generally cost more, because the instructor is only getting paid by one student, instead of getting a fee for each of half a dozen or so. The shop may well be waiting to accumulate enough people to make it worth running a class. A lot of instructors are unhappy to, or even will not teach a class with too few students in it, because the fee they get may not even cover their expenses to do the dives.

No I did not pay for a one on one class or truthfully have not paid the shop anything yet. I haven't been asked. But I will ask and if this is the case with class size, I will be happy to pay if it is..

I In the mean time have been watching the online course over and over to keep this at the front of my brain. 20 years off working on cars and 5 on boats and the old filing cabinet brain need to dump some old and replace it with diving info.:wink:

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2015 at 07:19 PM ----------

Well after being a little discouraged and calling another shop to see what there schedule was it was nice to hear the voice of my instructor on the phone telling me we would get started this Monday. Ill keep running threw the videos and soaking up some info on here so I can make his job as easy as possible.

Thanks for the comments
HS

Watch the 5thD-X videos, too . . . They'll give you a good mental picture of what a really solid diver looks like in the water.

Watch the 5thD-X videos, too . . . They'll give you a good mental picture of what a really solid diver looks like in the water.

?? Section 5 ? I'm not sure what you mean there.

When our students sign up, we have their classroom and pool sessions alre4ady scheduled. If they sign up for e-learning through us we do it right then as well. There is no excuse for delay of any kind with a reputable shop. I'm glad they finally responded. Our shop always has scheduled classes, and we do not cancel them if anyone is in them.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
[h=2]What should I expect?[/h]

I tell students that the main thing they should expect from their OW class is TO HAVE FUN!

My overall diving/training philosophy is "Dive the way train, train the way you dive."

I think it's a fair assumption that everyone who takes up diving does so to have fun... therefore having fun should be an integral part of training.

Learning to dive should be - and CAN BE - as much fun as diving itself. Most of the responsibility for that is on the instructor, but some of it is on you!

Enjoy it. Seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom