Suggestions for gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newtoo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm going for my open water Certification and am totally new to this. Once I'm certified I'll be diving at the Red Sea, but might not dive too often after that trip as I'm coming from Canada. Any suggestions & recommendations for equipment would be greatly appreciated.
I was wondering about used equipment and if it would be safe to buy that instead of new.

Newtoo :)

You suffer from a condition many very new divers get, called "Ineedgearitis". It would probably be the worst investment of your life to buy gear if you're only going to use it once, or once a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

buy a mask.

rent the rest.

While there just might not be all that much "local" diving to you in Edmonton, you have fabulous diving west of you (long day of driving) in Vancouver.

I'm going for my open water Certification and am totally new to this. Once I'm certified I'll be diving at the Red Sea, but might not dive too often after that trip as I'm coming from Canada. Any suggestions & recommendations for equipment would be greatly appreciated.
I was wondering about used equipment and if it would be safe to buy that instead of new.

Newtoo :)

First of all - if you are going to buy gear just for Egypt - then don't buy it. RENT IT.

Secondly - what do you mean you won't be diving just because you are in Canada. There is plenty of dive sites in Canada. Quite a few Canadian divers on this Board.

However - if you do dive in Canada you should buy gear related to diving there - dry suit - environment sealed regs etc etc.

My first dive kit was around $400 - I am proud of that - it was used and included everything including tanks. As long as it is serviced it is good enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom