Newly Certified and Trying to Pick Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevieSpin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there

I'm newly certified. Did so in Miami and am going to move on to my advanced soon.

I've done all my open water in Miami and Key Largo thus far. I want to do a wreck dive next and then continue with advanced.

I am considering Fort Lauderdale but not sure how the diving is there vs Miami/Key Largo, even after some research.

Can anyone recommend some great dive sites (esp wrecks) in Florida? I'm PADI-trained.

thanks!
Steve

too many to list that are wrecks & reefs ... many wrecks require AOW. plenty of shore diving in ft lauderdale. Copenhagen wreck is accessible from beach & boat. Sea Emperor etc is fun and OW accessible.

check out Gold Coast Scuba, Force-E, Dixie Divers.

Fort Lauderdale is a good choice for some easy dives and some wreck dives. I personally love diving in Boynton Beach.

There is also the United Caribbean within swimming distance of the Sea Emp. The Ancient Mariner is usually a really easy dive. There are three wrecks within swimming distance of each other, often called "wreck trek," they are the Tracey, Jay Scutti, and Merci Jesus. A double dip at that site is really fun.

Take a look at this website for information:
Visit one of the hundreds of dive and snorkel sites in beautiful sunny South Florida with South Florida Diving Headquarters

Also, consider Parrot Island Scuba, as well as others mentioned:
Welcome

The diving in Broward is pretty sweet.

Steve;

As a newly certified diver i would recommend you take care as you seek to do wreck dives going north along the east coast. Many of these dives are in 100-1300ft of water which is well outside the 60ft depth restriction of the PADI OW cert. Because of the quick drop to the continental shelf there is also a very fast current on these wrecks which requires you to pull your self down the anchor/down line. Once on the wreck you need to stay low on the wreck to prevent being blown off; you will not be able to swim against this current if you do get blown off. If it does happen you will need to launch a SMB immediately to let the boat know you got blown off and they can set someone to watch for you until they can come pick you up.

If you do make it to the wreck you also need to avoid the temptation to stick your head into these wrecks as that is considered overhead environment and without the proper safety procedures and swim strokes you could blitz the viz and make it difficult to get back out. This does not even go into the proper gas planning for overhead.

My goal is not to sound like a worry wart, but to let you know that as a new diver there is a lot you don't know and i would recommend you stay well within your cert level until you get more advanced training to take on more complex dives.

Please stay safe and enjoy your self.

T.

There is no 60 fsw depth restriction for OW divers. It's a recommendation, not a restriction. There's a big difference.

That said, rushing to depth is generally a lesson in frustration for several reasons, not the least of which are much shorter dive times and the possibility for compiling problem spiral.

If you're comfortable in the water, however, a lot of the Jupiter drift dives are in the 70-100 foot range in warm water with good viz, and given the right charter, plenty of in-water support for newbs. I probably wouldn't go any further north than that though.

One more vote for anything between Jupiter and Fort Lauderdale (and including both). The shore dives in Lauderdale are a great way to get your comfort and dial in some skills on some fairly benign dives with beautiful scenery. I've been to BHB 4 times in my short diving career and can't wait to go back. Saw sharks and goliath grouper at Jupiter and absolutely loved Lauderdale by the Sea. (Staying right there on my upcoming trip.)

Back
Top Bottom