Learning to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piscesbaby

Reaction score
Howdy All! I am learning to Scuba and can't wait to make my first dive. I have a few questions for all who have some experiences with diving? How do you find a good diving buddy? Here is the purpose of my question.

A few years ago I was vacationing in Jamacia and was snokeling with my boyfriend. Our hotel had a three hour cruise where we could snokel and explore caves. When my boyfriend dove into the water he began to panic and told me he felt as if he was going to drown. Fortunately, I was a former life guard and also taught swimming so I was able to calm him and get him back on the boat. I was concern but also a little angry that he told me after the fact that he was not a very good swimmer. He took a big risk and I don't know what I would have done if my boyfriend would have drown.

I never forgot that experience and was curious how you find a good dive buddy? Certainly, you have to pass the test to get your C card but how do you determine if your buddy is a hotdog and too much of a risk taker. The last thing I want in the middle of a dive a reckless buddy. Tell me how your techniques in choosing a dive partner. Thanks!

Ask questions. Don't assume someone is competent just because they have a c-card. There are lots of poor instructors teaching people to dive. If you're not satisfied with the potential buddy's answers, pass him by. Where do you call home? It's possible (actually quite likely) we can put you in touch with lots of divers in your area.

Please feel free to fill out your profile so we know, at least generally, where you are as Walter said that will help us help you find local buddies.

Generally speaking here are a couple of tips for picking buddies at the dive site:
The diver who is loudly and/or constantly bragging about how good he/she is or how many dives they have done should be passed by. Bragging often represents more insecurity and lack of experience than anything else.

Watch people while they assemble their gear, the diver who doesn't seem to remember how to put it together probably hasn't been diving for a while and may have some problems when they get in for the first time. The ones to avoid are the ones who watch the other divers to get an idea of how their gear should be put together instead of asking for help for fear of looking "dumb." This diver probably won't admit to being unsure of their ability and may attempt a dive that is beyond their current capability.

The diver who hasn't been diving in a while and can't remember how the gear goes together but who asks someone for help and admits it's been a while since they dove is a much better option. This person is most likely going to tell you they are a little apprehensive and they would like to start off with an easy dive that includes some basic skills to get back into the swing of things. A thorough dive plan with this person and some patience on your part if you are comfortable enough with your skills to dive with someone who's a little rusty can lead to a pleasant experience.

The experienced and frequent divers who don't have a buddy will be quietly and efficiently assembling their gear as well as watching what the other divers are doing. They don't brag about how good they are, it shows in their actions. If you choose to ask this person to be your buddy ask how aggressively they plan to dive the site, they may wish to do something that is easy for them but it could be out of your comfort zone. Honesty on your part about what you expect from the dive pays off with this kind of diver and they may be willing to dive a less aggressive profile to be your buddy.

No matter who your buddy is you should never simply follow along. You need to be an active participant in the planning and execution of the dive not just a follower.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the board! Make sure you check out the local "clubs" here, all you have to do is start posting to become a member :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Well,

After you get your c-card try and do more dives with your instructor or someone he recommends, preferably a dive master or above. Get comfortable enough with your skills in the water, move on to Advanced Open Water and then rescue diver. The fact is, unless you have a steady dive buddy who is competent, you are more than likely going to end up in a situation where your buddy is less than to be desired.

If your knowledge and skills have improved you are now best equipped to deal with them in a safe manner for yourself.

Like Walter said, ASK questions....give them scenarios and see how they respond...this is the best you can do besides getting in the water with them. :)

Since your question already has been answered, all that remains is to welcome you to the board! :balloon
Laurens

I recommend against looking for DMs and instructors as buddies. Always diving with dive professionals tends to make you a dependent diver.

Walter:
I recommend against looking for DMs and instructors as buddies. Always diving with dive professionals tends to make you a dependent diver.

Well darn, I was looking forward to diving with you again some day Walter. :)

I said "always" and that specifically relates to new divers. Herman, you are anything but new and welcome to dive with me any time. Come on down.

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Back
Top Bottom