Attacked by a "Massachusetts Piranha" tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is amazing to me the number of "firsts" we can experience in this sport even after several years.

I was diving Paddock Rock solo this evening. Got there after work about an hour before sunset. I had a buddy topside of course and I planned for a nice easy 45 min dive. The dive was fantastic - seas were calm, nice topography as we know, tons of lobster (one really large one - carapace the size of a football), and all kinds of fish including Cunner and Cod.

So I make my way up to the base of the mooring at 20' for a safety stop after a nice 40min dive and to hang out with the curious Cunner - forever known to me going forward as "Massachusetts Piranhas". Sometimes Cunner can be very curious and will nip at your mask lens. This was the case tonight as well. Except I had several Cunner nipping at my mask at once. So as I sometimes do to watch a group of fish I broke open a Green Sea Urchin. Fish frenzy like you see on a warm water trip. A few minutes later the Cunner return to nip my mask once again. This larger Cunner comes in close - which up to this point I have always enjoyed - and slowly floats a bit to the left of my mask. There were others around the front of my mask. All of a sudden this particular Cunner moves in and bites down HARD on my lower lip on the left side of my regulator! This thing bit down and was wiggling hard to get a good chunk of meat. I immediately swatted the thing away and covered my lip for fear of bleeding and perhaps attracting other "piranhas" for a bite. I had spent 5 minutes at this depth after an NDL dive so I immediately ascended.

When I surfaced my buddy immediately noticed I had blood running down my chin! This little b*stard broke the skin good and it was a while before I stopped the bleeding. My buddy found great humor in this and took a picture before I even got out of the water. Of course I see the humor in this as well but I just could not believe it. I have enjoyed close encounters with Cunner for years but this was a first for them to try to take a bite.

Lesson learned - protect your lips if you want to have close encounters with "Massachusetts Piranha".

--Matt

Ha,ha,ha.....that is funny! sorry, Matt it seems like you've been having a bit of bad luck lately, hu?

Oh please tell me you're going to post the pic!!! :jump:

Sorry but that's pretty dang funny! I'm with pennypue...pic??

That's f'ed up, dude.

I got nibbled on my hands few times down in North Carolina by some tropical pretty colored fish and that was painful enough. I can't imagine having a chunk of lip removed by a cunner.

I hope the pictures come out good. I saw it quickly while removing my suit and trying to stop the bleeding. This fish did not remove a chunk of my lip fortunately but if you look closely you can see distinct teeth marks. The mouth on these things for non-locals is about the size of your finger. So we're not talking about a giant predator or anything (ha ha). They have big teeth for their size though. It's a very noticeable feature when you see them.

Here's a link about the Cunner: http://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/fishes/cunner.htm

Let's see if I can post a picture (of the fish). The one that bit me had more teeth - I swear!

--Matt

No, Matt we want a picture of you lip...not the fish!

From the cunner link: "Being omnivores, they eat a variety of plant and animal matter, including small lobster, mussles, shrimp and sea urchins."

I guess the site has to be updated to include humans as "animal matter"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom