Diving with Beer, Bullets, and Junk Cars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keelhaul123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just sitting here today reviewing my logbook and I came across a dive(s) I did back in October that I found interesting. My regular dive buddy introduced me to a quarry up in W. Rutland VT that she had dove a couple of times before. Never having dived a quarry before I was intrigued and off we went to the heart of Vermont. I must say it was a bit different than striding off the stern of the Cape Ann Diver II, but heck, Vermont is different. The quarry is am old marble pit from Rutlands glory days and apparently is also a local drinking spot judging from the number of broken beer bottles on the 100 yard walk in from the road. The other interesting feature is the unofficial shooting range that runs parallel to the quarry! Yup...those were gunshots I heard when I came to the surface at the end of our first dive. I had to walk back to the car between dives to get my lunch, and there was a family doing a little target practice. It was a bit unnerving and I had to yell out my presence so they wouldn't mistake me for a target. More disturbing was the cooler full of beer they had with them and the bottle of Jack Daniels next to it. Ahhhh...the rural life lol.
The diving itself was very cool though. You can just walk right into the water...no Giant Stride needed. The sides slope gently down to about 90 feet right at the entrance and the bottom had to have at least a dozen old cars. I do believe one of them was about a 1965 Olds convertible. Also as a result of the shooting range there were dozens of clay pigeons and bullets littering the cars and the bottom. If you have a yen for marble, and a good lift bag, theres also plenty of marble there to take home and edge your garden (my buddy took home a few of those two weeks prior to going with me). The quarry runs west-east and from what I understand gets down to about 130ffw at the west end, although I didnt get to that end. There is also 2 caves that extend north at the west end for all you cavers out there.
Visibility ran from about 30' at the entry, then dropped down to 5' to 10' below the thermocline which was at 20' at that time.
If any of you like to do a little different dive this might be a good place to check out. Its not DS, but in a way its more fun as it is full of "real" wrecks (granted they are all cars). I wish I could give you directions, but I wasn't driving so I wasn't paying enough attention. However, the dive shop in Rutland VT knows it and could probably get you directions.

Yes, the site is referred to as True Blue and/or Esparanza. I dove it a few times this fall. I may want to go back once more before freezes over. Anyone know when it does? Will definately want to go again in spring if anyone is interested. I don't do the cave thing. I'll poke in caverns but not beyond where natural light ends. It's a a long drive (2 hours 45 min) from Merrimack. Much longer from MA.

Let me know if want to go again and can join you.

I dove the True Blue quarry late this November. Very nice dive, gret viz. I will be going back when I can, as it is an enjoyable dive. The ride is a long one though. I would go up the night before, take in a hotel and dive in the morning. Driving up, diving and then driving home, makes for a long day, most of which would be driving.

I love that quarry. Nothing like shooting guns during your SI..

.. or surfacing to find *someone else* shooting guns :wink:

I know it does get frozen over.. not sure if it is now.

reefseal:
Anyone know if it's frozen over at this time of year?

I have not visited the quarry in the heart of winter. However I’ve been told that it freezes over late, do to the isolation provided by it’s surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom