What Makes You Drool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Diving and eating go hand in hand. A lunch break during your surface interval, then post-dive grub, to relax and share tales of the day's underwater adventures.

So with thousands of threads devoted to diving, let's give food some well-deserved recognition too!

What's on your plate? What recipes or restaurants make you salivate?

I started up my own recipe website lately, to share easy, inexpensive, and delicious meals. If you're a foodie check it out and let me know what you think :)

www.happivore.com

happivore-sofritasinternet.jpg

I cannot dive without watermelon juice after a dive - I will go to the ends of the earth for my watermelon juice. I harass dive shops to bring me in a blender or will buy my own and donate it if im on the road and buy a watermelon a day from local markets to satisfy my cravings. I have no shame in teaching bartenders and kitchen staff to make my watermelon juice exactly how I like it.

Im a big salad freak too and also have no shame in harassing old ladies making prawn lime and mint salad to get the recipe - I generally dislike phuket but fly into there to eat the prawn lime and mint salad at the Octopus Garden restaurant in Nai Yang. Then I dont mind paying $100 to drive to Ao Nang where I prefer the atmosphere.

After a dive im also partial to soups...chicken and vegetable did it for me at Tamarind restaurant in Sabang. In Cambodia I salivate over pumpkin and coriander soup. In PNG I adore rice and lime soup.

At home I often make up a salad of quinoa, roast pumpkin, spring onions and mint and parsley salad to take out on the ship on sailing days and if its a sail where i can get a dive in will fill a thermos with barley broth.

Heading to your website now :D

I'm easy, cold beer and fish tacos.

The diving wasn't great, but after a day of diving in the Keys we went to Florida Keys Fisheries. They have a Lobster Reuben and a Blackened Grouper sandwich that made it nearly impossible for me to choose between them. Finished off with a slice of cold key-lime pie? Awesome!

The other two were in Roatan. Baleadas on the street for nothing between dives still make me drool, but there's nothing special about them. But just next to West End Divers is a little place that does these really bright fish burritos. Tastes like the Caribbean feels.

My Thai green curry if I'm not too tired after diving to make it

What are we going to eat today, Brain?
The same as we eat every day, Pinky - Burgers and Beer!

Okay, I wish I could eat burgers and beer everyday - but it is my post dive ritual with one exception. In Dunellon, FL I eat gator (at the Blue Gator) and beer instead.

Fortunately pretty much every place has burgers. Most places don't carry good beer so I have to make due with domestic swill sometimes. Still, better than no beer.

My dive day food is...pedestrian:

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches between and after dives.

McDonalds coffee and apple pie on the drive home. (Unless my buddy insists on Starbucks, in which case I'm out the pie).

I used to get deli sandwiches, but they don't sit well in my stomach, especially on boat dives.

I think the best diving food I've ever had was the EcoDivers boats in Bunaken. We'd come up to a half dozen rice cookers holding all kinds of curries and rice dishes, colorful, spicy and full of flavor. I couldn't wait each day to see what we would be offered.

One of our local dive boats has hot croissants when you come out of your first dive, to go with the soup for lunch. The aroma of them drives me crazy while I am getting out of my gear.

Post-dive curry? Sign me up!

Eating fish after diving has always struck me as ironic, I have to admit. People spend so much time and money to look at fish, only to order them off a menu afterwards. Sea life beats sea food any day for me :)

Checked out your website Veganshark, and the recipes look delicious! I'm going to have to try your brownie recipe in the near future because I saw it included apple sauce, which I'm intrigued to tryout because I've never used apple sauce in brownies before, plus brownies=yum! :) On a side note I saw the film (Earthlings) that was referenced on your webpage.... oh man, that is one serious documentary worthy of a thread of its own...

During surface intervals I like to consume "Cuties," those delicious small mandarin oranges... and after diving I love to consume pasta, and finish it off with apples and peanut butter for dessert!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom