Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank bands for Faber LP85 tanks?

Registered

I'd rather be underwater.

Dives
    500 - 999

Tank bands for Faber LP85 tanks?

Hi all,

I'd ask this on the tanks forum, but since I always prefer local advice...

I have a lead on a pair of used Faber LP85s in good shape for a really nice price, and I'm really close to committing on them. If I buy them I'll be doubling them up, and I have a couple of questions...

1) What size bands actually work on them? I've been told that these tanks are 7" in diameter. Will common 7.25" bands work on these? If not, does anybody have a recommendation for bands that would work (with a source for buying them)?

2) What do people find is a typical difference in weight-belt when compared to doubled up HP100s? The 100's are definitely attractive in terms of carrying less extra lead around...

Thanks!

Registered

has no status.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat62 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a lead on a pair of used Faber LP85s in good shape for a really nice price, and I'm really close to committing on them. If I buy them I'll be doubling them up, and I have a couple of questions...

1) What size bands actually work on them? I've been told that these tanks are 7" in diameter. Will common 7.25" bands work on these? If not, does anybody have a recommendation for bands that would work (with a source for buying them)?

2) What do people find is a typical difference in weight-belt when compared to doubled up HP100s? The 100's are definitely attractive in terms of carrying less extra lead around...

Thanks!
    Faber 85's are nice tanks. Highland Millwork used to make bands for these 7" diameter tanks, but sadly Highland Millwork is no more.

You can still source good quality 7" bands from TechDivingLimited

The Fabers are almost neutral empty vs about -2 each for HP100's

Tobin
    DeepSeaSupply Innovative Backplates, Wings, Harnesses and accessories

http://www.deepseasupply.com

Registered

"Nobody with a good car
    needs to be justified."
    Hazel Motes

Photos
    Hi all,
    1) What size bands actually work on them? I've been told that these tanks are 7" in diameter. Will common 7.25" bands work on these? If not, does anybody have a recommendation for bands that would work (with a source for buying them).

From Piranha Dive Manufacturing:

Click for larger image 7.00 Inch Stainless Steel Cylinder Bands

Use these bands with 7.00 Inch cylinders!
    Our bands are made out of high quality marine grade 316-L stainless steel
    1/16" Inch Thick is used and has a #4 Brushed finish that makes these bands stand out!
    16 gauge thickness ensure a sturdy double set-up
    Bands are 2 1/2 Inches wide
    Fits all major brands of manifolds on the market today
    All Joints are precision tig welded
    A set includes "2" bands and 1 set of 316-L Stainless Steel hardware!

Piranha's Price: $77.95 (Suggested Retail Price:$139.50)

The welds are continuous and very good to excellent (on mine at least).

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    When I checked a couple of weeks ago, the only sources were OMS and Dive Rite. The OMS model is BD2570-K, which is what I ended up getting. I would have preferred Highland bands (sold by XS Scuba), but they don't make that size.

Mike

SoCal DIR

fresh status for sale

Dives
    200 - 499
    You can use 7.25 or 7.0 bands from PIranha, they are the best. on 7.25 bands you'll need to cut your bolts a bit with sander. Do not double up HP100 as you looking for -28 negative
    Faber 85 are negative 6.75 full to 0 empty (OMS version), what version are yours.?

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

supporter

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewy View Post
    . Do not double up HP100 as you looking for -28 negative
    Faber 85 are negative 6.75 full to 0 empty (OMS version), what version are yours.?

Note: that the Faber FX100's ( 3442 psig ) are about -16# when doubled, its the HP-100's or the (3180psig + 10%) that are rocks at about -30# when doubled.

Jim Breslin

SoCal DIR

fresh status for sale

Dives
    200 - 499
    yep, i was talking about above mentioned HP100

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Hi Brian,

You want 7" or (maybe 6.9") bands. 7.25" will not work and will put too much stress on the welds of the bands. Remember the bands are providing the rigidity to the system so it's important that you use the right bands for the job.

Most of the HP100s you see locally are either PST HP100's or Worthington/XS HP100's. I'd agree with Tobin that the weight difference between these tanks and the Faber 85s is about 2lbs.

The other nice thing about the 85s is that since they are a bit longer than the 100s (and since they are a bit more buoyant) they give you more a bit more options in terms of lead distribution on your body to help trim yourself out (if needed).

I live right up the street from the shop, if you want to stop by my garage sometime we can chat and I can show you what I mean.

Hope that helps,
    -Rob

Hi all,

Thanks!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by rhlee View Post
    Hi Brian,
    You want 7" or (maybe 6.9") bands. 7.25" will not work and will put too much stress on the welds of the bands. Remember the bands are providing the rigidity to the system so it's important that you use the right bands for the job.
    Most of the HP100s you see locally are either PST HP100's or Worthington/XS HP100's. I'd agree with Tobin that the weight difference between these tanks and the Faber 85s is about 2lbs.
    Rob, I think it's more than that. The most recent data I have shows the Faber LP85 as -3.80/+2.32 (full/empty), the PST E7-100 as -8.5/-1.0, and the Worthington X7-100 as -10.0/-2.5. So for double E7s you're looking at 9.40/6.64 lb. difference, and for double X7s it's 12.4/9.64 lb. difference. BTW, OMS seems to have found another supplier for their LP tanks, because the new tanks they're selling have very different buoyancy from the Fabers.

Guy

Registered

has no status.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Alcala View Post
    Rob, I think it's more than that. The most recent data I have shows the Faber LP85 as -3.80/+2.32 (full/empty),
    I suspect these numbers are sans valves.

Tobin
    DeepSeaSupply Innovative Backplates, Wings, Harnesses and accessories

http://www.deepseasupply.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast