ID needed for some object @BW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fobturbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ran into this while diving with pacificgal @Breakwater last week. This is the mysterious round thing that she keeps mentioning.

Attachments

• IMG_5376.jpg
    IMG_5376.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 148
I was really hoping it was going to be the cannon. I still haven't seen that.

Ran into this while diving with pacificgal @Breakwater last week. This is the mysterious round thing that she keeps mentioning.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I've never seen it. Could you be a bit more specific as to its location? Was this while you were on your way to or from the barge, or somewhere else? Depth? Time of day? Dimensions?

Guy

I think it's Dick Cheney's safe where he keeps his water boarding documents.

Oh Goodness! You mean I am the only one who has seen this thing? Matt, my deepest gratitude for photographing it.
Far left of the picture you see the round thing I kept trying to explain. This thing was near anchor blocks, it is always found when I'm swimming back into shore. We were trying to get to the metridium fields and never found 'em, so I guess you can imagine going out to where you think the met fields would be, going parallel to shore for awhile (and being somewhat lost..err, exploring) and then taking a 210 heading back in.
Time of day, well it was morning, depth was shallow in <35', dimensions: that "tire" thing on the left was about 18" in diameter.
Next time I explore across it I'll surface. I know I said that last time, but this time there was a camera with us, I thought for sure someone would say that it was something that everyone knows by some great name, like the cannon. Which isn't really a cannon.

I've never seen it... and I often take a direct heading from the Met fields back to the wall... I might be a bit further out though because I usually hit the cannon then the bend in the wall . Might be worth tossing an SMB up one of these days when you find it again and take some bearings so we check it out in person... :)

Wait really? You're crushing my dreams! What is the cannon really?

A piece of pipe angled up from the bottom, with a flange on the upper end and a couple of short pieces of pipe attached at 90 deg. angles on the underside. The Geocache is on the seaward side on the seabed, near the upper end.

Guy

Oh Goodness! You mean I am the only one who has seen this thing? Matt, my deepest gratitude for photographing it.
Far left of the picture you see the round thing I kept trying to explain. This thing was near anchor blocks, it is always found when I'm swimming back into shore. We were trying to get to the metridium fields and never found 'em, so I guess you can imagine going out to where you think the met fields would be, going parallel to shore for awhile (and being somewhat lost..err, exploring) and then taking a 210 heading back in.
Time of day, well it was morning, depth was shallow in <35', dimensions: that "tire" thing on the left was about 18" in diameter.
Next time I explore across it I'll surface. I know I said that last time, but this time there was a camera with us, I thought for sure someone would say that it was something that everyone knows by some great name, like the cannon. Which isn't really a cannon.

Kristina, what time of morning, i.e. what was your entry and exit time, and if you have it what was your dive time when you saw it? This info will allow me to establish the tide height with resonable accuracy and correct it to the MLLW shown on the contour map. When you were swimming parallel to shore, were you heading SE or NW? On your way back in from where you thought the metridium fields were, did you cross the Big Pipe on 210? When you surfaced at the end of your swim in, what was the bottom depth at that point? What point were you opposite on the beach?

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom