Gathering Ideas and Topics for new course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I'm gathering ideas and topics for a new course I'm looking to develop. The working title is Essential skills for the Northeast diver. Kind of a mouthful right now but it's just a working title.

So, I'm looking for suggestions and idea on what are the important or essential skills that all Northeast divers should have? Wreck or Beach diving doesn't matter so much but what are the most important topics or skills that each diver should have?

Basic Line running skills, Excellent bouyancy control, Emergency deco procedures, SMB deployment, Using an Upline, what else is out there?

I'm gearing this course more towards rec divers just getting out of OW or AOW class and getting on the boats or heading to the beaches for dives. I have found there is alot to diving regionally that isn't covered in OW or AOW course and would like to supplement each course with this one.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you could make an entire course out of any of these topics, but they'd be useful to know for a northeast diver:

Understanding NOAA forecasts (Not kidding; learning what's meant by "3 foot seas," swells, wave periods, knots)
Buoyancy control in rough seas
Flora and fauna of the northeast coast
Diving in low-viz conditions
Driving the Garden State Parkway :D

The forecast topic is really a great idea thank you

Entanglements.

Current, both on the down-line and how to hug the bottom.

Lost buddy procedures at depth.

Sea sickness preventions.

Hunter, wrecker, and tourist boats. How to keep out of the way and behave on each.

Redundant gas supply.

Rules and regs, what you can take and when. Shellfish license, limits, and min/max sizes.

Now we are getting somewhere... Great ideas guys, keep them up

>>Entanglements

Really good idea if shipwreck diving in the NE. Fishing boats, both commercial and recreational share our wrecks and they are littered with nets and monofilament. And some nasty hooks as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom