VEO 180 ALT problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apertyx

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi - my Veo 180 has decided 30 feet below is the new sea level... is there any way I can reset this? I've had it for 2 years now, and bought it second hand so there is no warranty, but I've always liked the computer. But it now just flashes "ALT" at the surface: it came to life around 30 feet down in surface mode, but went crazy beeping when I surfaced again.

Sending it away would probably not be worth the cost from Caymans, so if not fixable it would just be toast. I'm an instructor, and would have to replace it asap with something else.

Any ideas Oceanic folk?

Have you tried removing the battery for 10 minutes and then re-installing to reset the system?

These computers are always on in a low power state, even if you take out the battery for 30 seconds due to a built in capacitor to allow hot swapping the battery. If you sensor is smoked this won't help but is worthwhile trying.

Thanks. Yeah, I've left it out for a couple days, and that's when I took it for a dive and had the result. I've a feeling the pressure sensor is shot, but I wondered if it might be some software issue that might be resolvable some other way. Trying to be optimistic, but.... :)

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks. Yeah, I've left it out for a couple days, and that's when I took it for a dive and had the result. I've a feeling the pressure sensor is shot, but I wondered if it might be some software issue that might be resolvable some other way. Trying to be optimistic, but.... :)

Thanks again for your help.

Bummer. Maybe Oceanic will have a better idea. Sorry

Hi
I have the exact same problem with my Veo 180 Nx. It starts up, goes through check mode and then flashes ALT six times aand shuts off. I have contacted the Canadian distributer (Cross Country Parts) but so far they haven't resonded to e-mails. (I'm not the first to complain about this on Scubaboard) The "Contact Us" e-mail on Oceanic's website didn't work, perhaps because I'm in Canada. The computer is less than 2 years old, however, I'm not the original owner.
Any suggestions? I tried removing the battery.

I'm having the same ALT issue with my VEO and have trid removing and replacing the battery with no luck.

Oceanic online support don't seem to be too helpful at this stage. Is there a way to reset these computers?

I'm having the same ALT issue with my VEO and have trid removing and replacing the battery with no luck.

Oceanic online support don't seem to be too helpful at this stage. Is there a way to reset these computers?

Did you wait a bit after removing the old battery? The users memory is not flash ram, it is maintained during normal battery replacement with a capacitor / resistor circuit. It should fully discharge by waiting a few (3-5) minutes of battery removal. It will of course wipe out the dive history, etc...

I had a similar problem with my veo 200. The events leading up to my issue were:

I went diving last weekend. At the end of my weekend of diving, I put my veo 200 into a twist top Zip-lok container for safe storage and travel. When I took my veo 200 out of the Zip-lok container to do another dive yesterday, it was reading that I was already 15ft below the surface, and had been there for an hour. In order to clear and reset the computer, I had to remove the battery. When I reinstalled the battery and turned on the computer, it flashed "ALT" 5 or 6 times, then shut off. I removed the battery again, with similar results. The manual indicates that this behaviour indicates that it's above the highest elevation it's capable of adjusting for (above 1,400 ft or something).

Reading the posts here, I decided to leave the battery out over night. When re-installed the battery this morning, the computer turned on as normal, and indicated that it still had my data... including 3 dives that it recorded while it was in the Zip-lock container.

I don't know if it was being in the Zip-lock, sealed, container that caused the issue, or if it was simply that it never got dry enough to figure out that it should turn off. Or it maybe that it's in a pre-failure state.

Sounds weird. Should be capable of 14,000 feet, not 1,400. It is possible if it was in a sealed hard sided container changes in temp could change internal pressure mess with the altitude sensing, but 15' water depth is way off. I would really want to dive it with a second computer to make sure the sensor is reading depth correct to within 2'.

Back
Top Bottom