Desiccant useful life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happybuddha

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to UW photography and recently purchased an Olympus PT-016 housing for my girlfirends point and shoot (wanted a PT-010 for my C-4040 but can't find one) for us both to play with. The housing came with 6 or so desiccant packs, but no where in the manual do I see any indication as to how long these are supposed to work.

Does anyone have any idea how many dives we should expect one pack to last?

Thanks,
Drew

It's going to depend on where you dive.

In Cozumel I needed to change packs and even use two in the housing. Here in Australia I use a single pack and have used the same one for over 40 dives with no problems.

I think the best bet is to get the ones that show moisture (they turn pink) coz I know that 40 dives is probably asking way way too much of these things!

You can rejuvenate them in a warm oven, too.

Lots more people will chime in with their experiences, I am sure...

I put one pack in each time I close the case. After a dive trip, I recharge all of my packs by baking them in a 250 degree over for about 45 minutes.

-Mark

happybuddha:
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any idea how many dives we should expect one pack[desiccant] to last?

Thanks,
Drew

Desiccant should always be used, however it very important to be aware of the amount of moisture is being trapped inside the housing.

It has been my experience that loading my camera into it's waterproof housing in a well air conditioned(dehumidifed) room works best. I was on one particular live-aboard where everybody had problems with condensation in their housings no matter how much desiccant was used. Our berth's were cool even though there was a lot of humidity in the air!

Digital cameras can generate a lot of heat so it is not uncommon for the camera to be twenty degree hotter than the the surrounding water.

maractwin:
I put one pack in each time I close the case. After a dive trip, I recharge all of my packs by baking them in a 250 degree over for about 45 minutes.

Can't you also nuke them?

astrl

astrl:
Can't you also nuke them?
astrl

I "think" so. One of my student divers works in a California dive shop, and says he does it all the time. We didn't believe him, but he stuck some of my packets in the microwave. I forgot how long he cooked 'em, but the crystals all came back clear/blue. I wonder how many times you can do that to a packet before it explodes or something, ha ha.

happybuddha:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to UW photography and recently purchased an Olympus PT-016 housing for my girlfirends point and shoot (wanted a PT-010 for my C-4040 but can't find one) for us both to play with. The housing came with 6 or so desiccant packs, but no where in the manual do I see any indication as to how long these are supposed to work.

Does anyone have any idea how many dives we should expect one pack to last?

Thanks,
Drew

You can probably bake those wimpy, flat, essentially one-time-use Oly packs, or you can buy some real ones.

If only I knew a good source for cheap, new, better-than-stock-Olympus silical Gel packs...

Wait - it'll come to me... :wink:

K

I generally place them next to my batteries & charger (where ever's warmer) when I recharge my AA's for my 5050 & strobe. Has worked for prob. over 100 dives now...after a long trip or month or 2 of diving, I'll stick 'em in the nuk at med. heat for approx. 20secs per pack (size of the orig. Olympus wimppy SG), & add an extra 8 secs for each addition pack I put in togehter to the nuk....no nuk war yet!?

The only thing to watch is don't Overheat in oven or nuk. Make sure the packaging (not SG) can take the heating process! eg. plastic & nuk >> no good!

There's info on the web for SG regeneration.

I've used all sorts SG packs from varied places....Japanese snack packs, Hard drive packages, whereever...I pretty sure it's a pretty monoplo-item... SG is SG is SG. Only difference is some turn blue, some turn pink....maybe it's just gender specific?! :07:

The ones i've stuck to tho are about 2-3 times the size of the Olyp wimpers taht come w/ new hard drives....mainly coz they fit just right. Prob. free at your local computer store!

A few times, if I'm unsure how hydrated they already are &/or really don't want fogging coz I expect to see a mating whale sharks - just kidding....i put in 2-3 packs....

I haven't had a fog since I've done the above.....

Signed,
dehydrated....ps. have you tried the Apollo bio-filter, the really work!!....excuse the pun....

I didn't stay at Holiday Inn last night but I am a chemist. Let me add a couple of comments to the thread:

-A fully dehydrated dessicant pack will continue to absorb water from the air until it is in equilibrium with the surroundings. Uptake is slow and the time it will take to get to equilibrium depends a lot on relative humidity. Once equilibrium is reached, the desiccant won't absorb any more moisture from the air. A pack won't continue to work very long in Biloxi, Mississippi, in August.

-The desiccant packs can be reused many, many times if you bake them in a 225 degree oven for a couple of hours. After dehydrating the packs, store them in an air-tight container. Don't mix fresh packs with used ones. You can also use a microwave oven to recharge your packs, but I would suggest using a low setting to avoid overheating the paper/plastic envelopes.

[Microwave ovens do what they do because the frequency of the microwaves used corresponds to a rotational frequency of water molecules. The microwave radiation causes the water molecules to absorb kinetic energy, which in turn causes the object to heat up.]

-If you are using desiccant packs with an indicator (turns blue or pink depending on the indicator) when recharging, don't rely on the color of the indicator as the indicator used (mostly Cobalt Chloride) will change color faster than the desiccant dehydrates, hence my recommendation that you bake them for a couple of hours at least.

-As mentioned above, loading your housing in an air-conditioned space will help. Air conditioners lower relative humidity. An additional tip that I picked up from a video engineer that I dive with, is to use a hair dryer to warm the inside of the housing and the camera before closing. By warming the air, you reduce the relative humidity in the air space even more.

-It is important that you recharge, before using, any desiccant packs that you get from shoe stores, electronics, etc. as they are most likely fully hydrated and useless by the time you get them.

-When finished diving, only open the housing in an air conditioned space if possible and quickly place the desiccant packs in a dry air-tight container.

-Four 2-gram dessicant packs fit neatly inside the PT-015 housing. By following the above protocol, I can reuse the same four packs for several days of diving before the indicator fades a little, at which point I replace them with four new ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom