XZ1, flash settings and strobe help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been messing around underwater with my new XZ1, S&S YS-01, synch cord and Oly housing. I have to say my photos have been very hit and miss. I have read and re-read manuals and tried different things UW to the point where I can't remember what works and what doesn't. Messing around by pointing the strobe at the camera and taking pictures of it, I get a completely white frame in either TTL or when the manual setting is set to the single solid flash setting.

Even though I can see the flash on the YS firing, the pictures are underexposed, so I think it isn't firing at the right time, even though it is set on TTL. I THINK that most of the time, the camera was set to "fill-in" on the flash settings (which is the default on the UW auto SCN settings). I'm thinking it now must be on "full". And that all that stuff in the flash sub-menus (under "camera) about slow/synch 1 or 2 and RC mode is irrelevant, correct?

I'd RATHER get it right on my next dive (Saturday) than mess around underwater so if the above sounds about right, then I will have at it. It's probably something simple and stupid I'm doing wrong....

I have been messing around underwater with my new XZ1, S&S YS-01, synch cord and Oly housing. I have to say my photos have been very hit and miss. I have read and re-read manuals and tried different things UW to the point where I can't remember what works and what doesn't. Messing around by pointing the strobe at the camera and taking pictures of it, I get a completely white frame in either TTL or when the manual setting is set to the single solid flash setting.

Even though I can see the flash on the YS firing, the pictures are underexposed, so I think it isn't firing at the right time, even though it is set on TTL. I THINK that most of the time, the camera was set to "fill-in" on the flash settings (which is the default on the UW auto SCN settings). I'm thinking it now must be on "full". And that all that stuff in the flash sub-menus (under "camera) about slow/synch 1 or 2 and RC mode is irrelevant, correct?

I'd RATHER get it right on my next dive (Saturday) than mess around underwater so if the above sounds about right, then I will have at it. It's probably something simple and stupid I'm doing wrong....
Don't use any "auto Scene" settings. Just shoot in aperture or shutter while using s ttl and set the flash to fill. When shooting in manual you can set the flash to a lower power setting and leave it alone. From there you can adjust exposure via the strobe or your camera settings or a combination of the two.

Don't use any "auto Scene" settings. Just shoot in aperture or shutter while using s ttl and set the flash to fill.
. Nope, that doesn't work. The strobe is not firing at the right time when I do that and photo is very underexposed. It only seems to fire at the right time on ANY camera settings if flash is set to full.

Welcome to my world. I purchased one of these cameras and housings to use with a YS-27dx strobe and experienced much the same issues. I couldn't get the strobe to fire in any setting other than Manual mode with the flash set to 1/16th ... and even then it would sometimes either fire out of sych or not at all.

I spent hours with the manual ... which doesn't cover issues like this ... as well as time with a friend who teaches underwater photography and is very knowledgeable at it. Neither I nor him could figure out why this is happening.

On Program mode settings I could visibly see the strobe firing out of synch with the flash ... effectively firing after the camera took the picture.

It's very frustrating. Fortunately the person I purchased this camera for is going back to Africa in a few weeks and won't be using it for scuba diving. It's a very nice camera, but unless I can resolve this issue, hers will never go underwater again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds about right.
Welcome to my world. I purchased one of these cameras and housings to use with a YS-27dx strobe and experienced much the same issues. I couldn't get the strobe to fire in any setting other than Manual mode with the flash set to 1/16th ... and even then it would sometimes either fire out of sych or not at all.

I spent hours with the manual ... which doesn't cover issues like this ... as well as time with a friend who teaches underwater photography and is very knowledgeable at it. Neither I nor him could figure out why this is happening.

On Program mode settings I could visibly see the strobe firing out of synch with the flash ... effectively firing after the camera took the picture.

It's very frustrating. Fortunately the person I purchased this camera for is going back to Africa in a few weeks and won't be using it for scuba diving. It's a very nice camera, but unless I can resolve this issue, hers will never go underwater again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I heard back from the company I bought the strobe from...here is what he said:

"After we sold a couple of these, it came to our attention that there was a timing issue with it and the YS-01/YS-110a strobes and unfortunately they do not work in TTL. This is somewhat a flaw in S&S's TTL logic I think and it may get corrected in their new strobe. There was talk for a while of a ROM revision being available as a factory repair, but I haven't any more about it in quite some time.

Actually the camera is much faster in manual; if you set it to manual flash, the strobe to manual, then all will recycle very quickly, even shooting large RAW files."

So, long answer short, it doesn't work in TTL. Which was precisely what I asked for when I bought the thing.:(

I just received my XZ-1 with two YS-01 strobes, but have not had a chance to try it underwater yet. I have done a lot of reading and based on that and my experience with my previous camera, here is my plan.

Set Flash Sync to Sync 1
Flash set to 1/64
Camera in Manual Mode
YS-01 set to second manual mode, the one just before TTL

Macro
ISO 100, F8, 1/160 sec, macro on, strobe power based on distance (have to experiment with settings)

Wide Angle
ISO 200 (higher if necessary but not above 400), F5.6, 1/90 sec (adjust up or down to change color of blue background), adjust strobe power to control foreground

I know that my flash works properly with the shutter using these settings from shooting in a dark room. Hopefully, it will work underwater too. I'll let you know in a week or so.

Good Luck,
Herb

Sorry for your Troubles. You need the Inon Strobes, those work in sTTL with this camera and housing.
Yeah that is what the dealer tells me NOW! Not what he said when I was discussing what I wanted/needed. I am a bit choked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom