Has anyone used the Olympus TG-1 underwater extensively yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got one on mail order which should arrive tomorrow. Has anyone here used it a lot yet to be able to get a good idea of its underwater capabilities? Also, I noticed that it has a seperately sold ring adaptor to enable a 40.5mm filter to be mounted. Can this be used or do I still need it with the PT-053 underwater casing?

Took some photos with it this morning during a snorkelling trip. Looked ok but still needed quite a bit of tweaking. Perhaps I've gotten too used to the DSLR.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2012 at 12:39 PM ----------

Here's a turtle I came across pretty near to shore.

Turtle stalking - YouTube

My wife uses it to around 35 feet with no housing. Loves the camera

Took some photos with it this morning during a snorkelling trip. Looked ok but still needed quite a bit of tweaking. Perhaps I've gotten too used to the DSLR.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2012 at 12:39 PM ----------

Here's a turtle I came across pretty near to shore.

Turtle stalking - YouTube

Great footage, hope to get mine under the water in the next 3 months.

My wife uses it to around 35 feet with no housing. Loves the camera

There's quite a lot to see here at around 30 feet so I think I should be quite safe but I'll definitely need to get the underwater housing in future even if I still hang around the 30 - 40 feet mark. To protect the camera if nothing else. :D

---------- Post added January 1st, 2013 at 08:58 AM ----------

By the way, when I was reviewing my photos after the first dive and hunting around for the LCD monitor's brightness, even though I was darned sure I'd kept my finger away from the menu button and the Tap mode was off, it kept switching me back to playback mode. Sounds a bit like moisture screwing up the electronics, doesn't it? However, the two hatches were dry inside though.

ps. Locks on both hatches were in the On position and I'd given the camera a short wash under the bathroom tap (freshwater) and dunked it into just a few inches at the beach before going further.

Took mine for the first time to Cozumel and did around 10 dives with it. I didn't touch the white balance or exposure at all. I kept it in the auto mode(sorry I don't remember what setting that is) most of the time. The multiple pictures option worked very well exspecially for juvy drums and trunk fish. The camera and housing worked well together and I am happy with it. The video is also very easy to use, one button on and off. I can't answer about the lens, sorry. I feel you will like it. Has another guest at the resort show us some picks from his E-PLM1, NICE.

I used mine in the Program (P) mode so I could at least set the white balance to Underwater. As long as you don't compare with the actual subjects, the results should be passable although some tweaking is always welcome. :D

I use the TG-1 during courses in the pool. Usually I just give the camera to (mostly Open Water Diver) students and the pictures shot with the camera look quite OK as long technical image quality is concerned. And my students love it, it's easy to use, they know it. If I pass them my camera in an u/w housing most of them are somehow inhibited.

br
Zelko

The tg2 is coming out soon fyi

Back
Top Bottom